Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from iphone

I have an iphone SE ( new version) and an Epson XP-8600 printer, with the up-to-date airprint-enabled printer driver. My internet connection is via a BT Home Hub 6, which also generates its own Wi-Fi. My phone selects and connects to this Wi-Fi by preference.

There is correspondence in these Discussions about problems with printing from phones, but my situation is slightly different from any of these, so I am asking my own question here.

I used to be able to print from my phone without difficulty. For a considerable time I had no occasion to do so, but now I should again like to be able to do so. Note that my upgrading of BT Hub, iphone and, possibly, printer may all have happened since I last printed from my phone. At any rate now my phone cannot find an airprint printer any more.

If I press the 'Factory Reset' button on the back of the BT Hub, my phone finds my printer straight away, and I can print. Unfortunately, in that situation I cannot connect to the Internet. I then have to switch the BT Hub off altogether, wait a few minutes, switch it on again and wait for a few minutes. I can then connect to the Internet — but I can no longer print from my phone!

I have written to Epson to ask about printer settings, but have not yet had a substantive reply. Contacting BT to ask a question of this nature is difficult. So I am hoping that one or another of the erudite readers. and writers of these Discussions may have suggestions.

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 1:25 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 22, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Michael Graubart

From what I do remember, with BTHubs there was always an issue with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi being broadcasted as one, where devices joining 2.4GHz WiFi couldn’t not see those connected to 5GHz Network. BT used to have an official document telling users to split network into two.

Edit: here we go: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/i-can-t-connect-devices-to-my-wi-fi/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly

Try it. See if its going to work for you.

A bit of explanation. iPhone can join both. But pretty much all home-office type printers are still using 2.4GHz only. So, when your iPhone is on 5GHz WiFi, then it might not see your printer.

I admire BT how they blame others while 3 generations of their products have same issues for years and they don’t do anything about it…

Aug 23, 2021 3:27 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Dear iWOO, I am very grateful for your advice. But two things persuaded me to try something else yet once more before following it.

Firstly, the fact that I could print from my phone as long as I had first reset my Smart Hub to the factory settings suggested that the Hub in its 'raw' state was responding to either or both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi. Secondly, I confess I was frankly afraid of tinkering with the system at that sophisticated level in case I did something wrong and could not go back. So I returned to Settings on the Epson printer and tried setting up Wi-Fi once more.

Whether I had previously made a mistake in entering the Hub's password or for some other reason — lo and behold, I am holding my breath, but I can now print from my phone!

Thank you — and Lawrence Finch — for your advice, which I shall keep in reserve in case anything goes wrong again, but all's well that ends well.

Printing from iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.