Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - will this try to update my Mac OS (which is already max it can be- High Sierra) or is this something I should do?

"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - will this try to update my Mac OS (which is already max it can be- High Sierra, and I don't want to change this) or is this something I should do and updates some other software just for the phone connection and photo downloads - which used to just happen automatically?

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 4:39 PM

The update referred to in the "Related Article," only updates the software required for your computer to communicate with your iPhone. It will not update the macOS on your computer.

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device. If you continue to see this alert, make sure that your software on your Mac and iTunes are up-to-date.

If your Mac doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn what to do.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 4:39 PM in response to ASCJEK46

The update referred to in the "Related Article," only updates the software required for your computer to communicate with your iPhone. It will not update the macOS on your computer.

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device. If you continue to see this alert, make sure that your software on your Mac and iTunes are up-to-date.

If your Mac doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn what to do.

Sep 5, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Ferd II

Hi Ferd II,

Are you 100% sure? I'm hoping you are correct but want full verification before proceeding here.

This little ambiguous dialog box (shown in your post) has caused me a lot of stress here. Clicking Learn More leads to this from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831 which, in context sounds a lot like an OS update. And yesterday when I clicked the Install button, my system began to download Big Sur files for an OS update.

During the download process I went into system preferences>software updates and unchecked Automatically: Install Mac OS updates.

However, today, now I'm very afraid (having already downloaded the Big Sur files), that clicking on this install button again will initiate the install OS process.

I'm on Catalina (OS 10.15.7) and wish to stay put for now.

Can you or someone confirm what will happen when I click Install next?

Thanks,

Mike

Sep 5, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Michael Northcutt

Michael Northcutt wrote:

Are you 100% sure? I'm hoping you are correct but want full verification before proceeding here.

This little ambiguous dialog box (shown in your post) has caused me a lot of stress here. Clicking Learn More leads to this from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208831 which, in context sounds a lot like an OS update. And yesterday when I clicked the Install button, my system began to download Big Sur files for an OS update.

During the download process I went into system preferences>software updates and unchecked Automatically: Install Mac OS updates.

However, today, now I'm very afraid (having already downloaded the Big Sur files), that clicking on this install button again will initiate the install OS process.

I'm on Catalina (OS 10.15.7) and wish to stay put for now.

Can you or someone confirm what will happen when I click Install next?

I can say from my own personal experience, and also by providing this advice to family/friends, using the "Install" located here:

...only installs "the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device." It does not update your macOS.

If you clicked the "Install" button anywhere else (System Preferences>System Update) for example, you may have indeed downloaded Big Sur, but the "Install" which I just referenced will not "update your macOS."

Since previously, you apparently had "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" checked, I'm not surprised that macOS Big Sur has been/may have been downloaded to your system. You can go to your Applications Folder, and safely delete the "Install macOS Big Sur" file.

"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - will this try to update my Mac OS (which is already max it can be- High Sierra) or is this something I should do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.