Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Print as PDF

Hello, does anyone know how to digitally print a PDF document on Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. On my Windows laptop, I had an option to digitally print a PDF file by choosing "Microsoft Print to PDF" but (for obvious reasons) this option isn't showing up on the Mac version. I use this option for fillable forms so they can't be edited. Digitally printing the form is easier for me to save and email it to clients, instead of having to go through the hassle of physically printing it and then scanning it.

Is there something similar for Mac? I searched online and it says to add "Adobe PDF" as a printer by going to Applications > Utilities > Print & Fax. But I don't have the "Print & Fax" option.

I have the MacBook Pro M1 (2020), running Big Sur 11.5.2

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 3:51 PM

When you "Save As PDF", the properties of the file is still the same. Like if you made a fillable form in Adobe, when you go and "Save As PDF", it still saves the file as a fillable form.

But if you were to "Print As PDF" or "digitally print" that form, it doesn't save it as a fillable form anymore. It comes out the same way as if it were printed out on an actual printer. If that makes sense.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 3:51 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

When you "Save As PDF", the properties of the file is still the same. Like if you made a fillable form in Adobe, when you go and "Save As PDF", it still saves the file as a fillable form.

But if you were to "Print As PDF" or "digitally print" that form, it doesn't save it as a fillable form anymore. It comes out the same way as if it were printed out on an actual printer. If that makes sense.

Aug 25, 2021 3:43 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, I don't want the form to save as a fillable PDF but like... a print out? Only it's digital. Sorry I know it's confusing because the "Save As PDF" on other apps or even on an internet browser when you go to print and "Save As PDF", it does what I'm looking for. Adobe has (at least on the Windows version) a "Print to PDF" option that I've been trying to find the Mac counterpart.

OMG I tried Preview and it worked! Thank you!!! I had been uploading the forms to Google Drive and "printing" it from there but this Preview workaround is better. Still a bit tedious but at least I don't have to upload it to a browser. Thanks again! 👍🏽👍🏽

Aug 25, 2021 8:38 AM in response to ej-mccoll

ej-mccoll wrote:

No, saving as a PDF doesn’t do what I want which is why I posted my question.

But you said above:

Are you saying you don't want the form to save as a fillable PDF? That could be my point of confusion. Open the file with Preview instead of Adobe. I think you should be able to do what you want from there.

Aug 26, 2021 8:42 AM in response to ej-mccoll

The Mac version of Acrobat does not support direct printing to PDF (File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF). It only saves to PDF via File > Save or File > Save As. This is especially frustrating with fillable forms, as you discovered.

This problem existed in the old Mac CS versions of Acrobat as well as the current DC versions.

I think this is anomalous behavior on a Mac but it appears to be the way Adobe designed Acrobat to work on Macs.

Sep 20, 2021 8:26 AM in response to ej-mccoll

This has been an issue for years now. I solved it for my users by installing VipRiser, which creates a virtual PDF printer that you can then print to from within Acrobat Pro ... no need to reopen the file in Preview.

I just successfully tested it on an M1 Mac running Big Sur, but haven't had a chance to try it on Monterey.

https://onflapp.github.io/blog/pages/VipRiser.html

Adobe Print as PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.