Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV shows "Not Playing" even though music is playing.

I recently installed an Apple TV 4k in my office. I have a Windows 10 PC with iTunes, home sharing is turned on, and I'm trying to AirPlay from iTunes to the Apple TV.

When I open iTunes, select "Office" from the airplay device list, and play music my music starts to play on the Apple TV.

However, the music is not showing on the Apple Music or Computers Now Playing screens. When I open the right side menu it shows the album artwork of the music playing but shows "Not Playing." What's even more odd is when I change songs the album art changes, the music is playing, but it still shows "Not Playing."

I have rebooted the Apple TV and this issue was fixed for about one song. After that song it went back to "Not Playing."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 6:48 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 26, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Resetting the Apple TV did not fix the issue. I thought it did but after a few songs and when the screen savers turned on, my music stopped playing. Then, when reconnecting to the Office Apple TV I get "Not Playing" again even though music is playing.

Also, I did notice the checkbox next to the Office Airplay in iTunes will sometimes have a - instead of a check. I'm not sure what this means, but I found many articles online of this issue where people were having very similar issues to me.

I believe this is an AirPlay bug, Apple TV bug, and/or iTunes bug.

Articles I found:

Homepod disconnects or stops playing musi… - Apple Community

More Apple TV Airplay Woes : appletv (reddit.com)

Windows iTunes to Homepod Airplay issues : HomePod (reddit.com)

The only way to get music to display on my Apple TV again is to reboot the device. This is not a great solution as I'd have to reboot the device every 5 minutes....

I will try to disable the screen saver, reboot the device, and see how long the Apple Tv plays music. Maybe the screen saver is the issue.... That didn't work either, still eventually created the dash and stopped playing, then when re-playing it's back to Not Playing.

Aug 26, 2021 8:29 AM in response to iamtheratio

Now here's what happens after an Apple TV reboot (for a limited amount of time):

iTunes after reboot:

Apple TV Side Bar after reboot:

Apple TV Now Playing after reboot:

In the middle of song 2 the music stopped playing and seemed to disconnect from AirPlay. Once that happens when I reconnect the Now Playing will always say Not Playing, even though the music does play through the TV.

Very weird, but hopefully this extra research/documentation is helpful.

Aug 26, 2021 7:18 AM in response to iamtheratio

Hi iamtheratio,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that when you AirPlay music from iTunes to your Apple TV, you can hear the music but the Now Playing screens indicate they're not playing, correct?

Are you able to play music on your Apple TV as you'd expect?

Do you have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled on your Apple TV and PC?

We look forward to your reply.

Cheers!

Aug 26, 2021 7:33 AM in response to Miche11e_P

I can hear the music, but the now playing shows "not playing." When I reboot the Apple TV the now playing feature works for about 1-2 songs, then shows "not playing" again even though the music will continue to play.

My Apple TV is connected to my 5G wifi network while my PC is connected to the LAN directly. I have 1GB up/down internet and the wifi router is also located in the same room as the Apple TV.

Hope this helps and thank you for responding!

Apple TV shows "Not Playing" even though music is playing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.