Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID not working properly or malfunctioning

Hi, I have an issue with my Face ID and was wondering if anyone has the same problem?

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and I have had it for almost 2 years now. I've never damaged or had my phone repaired by anyone but just today my Face ID seems to be playing up. It seems the camera doesn't detect me of some sort and it takes too long to open with Face ID. Instead, I have to enter my passcode all the time. Same issue happens when opening apps that require Face ID.

I restarted my device and the issue gets resolve for some time. But after not logging in for a few minutes the Face ID plays up again. I also tried resetting Face ID in settings but a message appears saying "Face ID is not available - Try setting up Face ID later". Seems like restarting my device only seems to do the trick, but only for a couple of minutes.

I contacted apple support and they said it could be a hardware issue, but it feels more like a software concern. Is anyone having the same issue? And is it because of the new update?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 6:44 AM

Kudoshigs wrote:

And is it because of the new update?

I don't think this is because of an iOS update. Because if it was caused by an iOS update then millions would have this including me. Since I have no such issue Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

Find Locations - Location Selector - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar.

Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Kudoshigs

Kudoshigs wrote:

And is it because of the new update?

I don't think this is because of an iOS update. Because if it was caused by an iOS update then millions would have this including me. Since I have no such issue Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

Find Locations - Location Selector - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar.

Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

Face ID not working properly or malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.