Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro App Store white screen + Music error message

I noticed today that my AppStore app didn't open properly. When it loaded all that appeared was a completely blank screen along with a blank left side panel. Refer to the images below for the App Store screen and my system overview.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. I also have a problem with the Music app that displays an error message when it loads. It may be related or a separate problem.

Any assistance with these problems would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 6:53 PM

I downloaded MalwareBytes from their web site. I wasn't sure about the meaning of a "well respected ASC Contributor" so I figured their web site was the best.

I ran the app twice. The first time it uncovered 11 items - 9 Adware, 1 malware and 1 PUP. I quarantined those items, then deleted them and rebooted. Ran the app a 2nd time and only 1 adware was uncovered which was again quarantined and deleted and then rebooted again.

After all of that the App Store worked perfectly as well as the Music app (no error msg).

Thanks for your help.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 6:53 PM in response to gordonvp

I downloaded MalwareBytes from their web site. I wasn't sure about the meaning of a "well respected ASC Contributor" so I figured their web site was the best.

I ran the app twice. The first time it uncovered 11 items - 9 Adware, 1 malware and 1 PUP. I quarantined those items, then deleted them and rebooted. Ran the app a 2nd time and only 1 adware was uncovered which was again quarantined and deleted and then rebooted again.

After all of that the App Store worked perfectly as well as the Music app (no error msg).

Thanks for your help.

Sep 1, 2021 4:37 AM in response to gordonvp

Have seen this behaviour elsewhere from time to time. One may have picked up a piece of Malware or Adware.

Suggest downloading from a Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application

And / Or

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Sep 2, 2021 2:21 AM in response to gordonvp

Thank you for the Report.

Below is what appears to be definite Adware Infestation to the point of Installing a False Proxy. That would account for your earlier posting and issue

SSD too slow - SSD is showing poor performance. - Signs of SD getting old

Time Machine backup out-of-date - The last Time Machine backup is over 10 days old.

Proxies - Network proxies detected. This could be evidence of malware.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

High battery cycle count - Your battery may be losing capacity.

Battery: Health = Replace Soon - Cycle count = 1062

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.SkilledUnitd.plist

Executable: /var/root/Library/Application Support/.SkilledUnit.dp/SkilledUnitdd pd

Details: Domain name invalid - possibly adware

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.SkilledUnitd.plist

Executable: /var/root/Library/Application Support/.SkilledUnit.dp/SkilledUnitdd pd

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.11761142044588387537.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/com.5184596193229446859/14741304741875261855 1D30DBA2-25

BB-597E-A30B-4CE1E6683DB4 1137

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.11761142044588387537.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/com.5184596193229446859/14741304741875261855 1D30DBA2-25

BB-597E-A30B-4CE1E6683DB4 1137

Sep 4, 2021 2:33 AM in response to gordonvp

Welcome.

Since you have marked you own posting as Solved - this basically means this case is closed ? !!

" Well Respected ASC Contributor " is acknowledging the work this person does on the ASC Forums as well as the Development of the Etrecheck Application. Which, by the way, if often used by Apple Support itself in analyzing computer issue.

MacBook Pro App Store white screen + Music error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.