Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sections and numbering troubleshooting Mac Pages

Formatting my novel I am finding difficulty in changing numbering styling (as novels are always prepared thus) from i, ii, iii... to 1, 2, 3 in chapter pages after front matter.

Section changes back and there seems to be no way to divide the sections without ruining all my good work on previous section, i.e. Title, copyright, isbn etc.

This verging on madness for me as an author. Any solutions would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 8:07 PM

Hi Ian,

Thanks heaps. It is not easy to navigate. Today I realized that I was actually using my older Pages.2 App (2019) with this novel, so maybe there are still issues with the updated app. I will keep this older one just in case it cannot resolve itself.

Yes, I have found the click trick! It is nice when you know it.

Keep up the great work you are doing for Pages lovers. Marie x

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 8:07 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

Thanks heaps. It is not easy to navigate. Today I realized that I was actually using my older Pages.2 App (2019) with this novel, so maybe there are still issues with the updated app. I will keep this older one just in case it cannot resolve itself.

Yes, I have found the click trick! It is nice when you know it.

Keep up the great work you are doing for Pages lovers. Marie x

Sep 2, 2021 10:19 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Yellowbox, Thank you so much for offering your help.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I seem to have different options on my Pages edition.

It was updated in May, 2021. No options for my purpose. I have also been trying line and section breaks (insert option). I found that when I placed two blockages (sections) I did get my chapter pages to begin at 1 and continue! However, I still cannot get the first section to accept page numbering in another format. I shall keep trying and you have encouraged me because you care. Marie x

Sep 2, 2021 11:20 PM in response to MarieAuthor

Hi Yellowbox, (Ian)

Having persevered a little longer, I tried inserting page numbers via page number boxes. After a few trials, something freed up and the screen I wanted came up and I finally could insert different style numbering into the front matter pages. I am over the moon, so thanks again for your unseen help. Take care, Marie x P.S. I hope this may help another Pages lover!

Sep 1, 2021 9:07 PM in response to MarieAuthor

Hi, There seems to be no resolutions for this problem with my favourite Pages program. I have done this formatting previously and it worked out fine. Since my updates I now encounter this formidible problem. I was wondering if we can manually add numbers to sections if the program cannot be altered? It would take less time than wasting my whole day going back and forth trying to create new sections that change immediately back to a different style. Other than this, I may have to revert to Word programming software to complete my work. That is something I do not relish. Maybe there is another way around this issue, gurus, please make your expertise known. I love you guys.

Sections and numbering troubleshooting Mac Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.