Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scroll bar on my styles list has disappeared

The set-up: I have a 14" MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey v12.2.1, and I've got Apple Pages v11.2.

The problem: In Apple Pages, I use a lot of different styles. Today, I went to apply a style to one of my paragraphs, and discovered that the pop-up list of styles is missing either a scroll bar or a down arrow at the bottom of the list to see the rest of the choices. I know there are more, and can even see 1/2 of the next style name, but cannot figure out how to access them.

The document I was in when I first ran into this is very large (350 pages), but I'm seeing the same thing in documents that are only a few pages long.

I recently noticed that I was missing my scroll bars, and went into System Preferences > General and chose "show scroll bars: Always". The scroll bars are showing up every other place I expect to see them, just not in the styles list. (???)

(I recently used Migration Assistant to move some of my files from my old iMac to my new MacBook Pro. I had already moved some things over before this; I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the problem.)

This is putting a real crimp in my style (no pun intended!). Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

TIA for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 3:35 PM

Problem solved now! I called Apple support and spoke to nice fellow named James. Since I only got my MacBook Pro a couple months ago, he thought to ask if I was using one finger or two fingers on the trackpad. I said, just one. He advised me to try with two fingers, and voila! That worked.

This would probably be blindingly obvious to someone used to the trackpad, but wasn't to me. I've used Macs for decades, but never one with a trackpad like this (I've had iMacs and iPads, but no laptops). And of course I just jumped in with both feet and didn't bother to read all the user guide stuff, too busy trying to get my projects done. Now I'm going to take the time to learn the gestures etc. And maybe my comment will help some other trackpad newbie down the line.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 3:35 PM in response to Drew_7

Problem solved now! I called Apple support and spoke to nice fellow named James. Since I only got my MacBook Pro a couple months ago, he thought to ask if I was using one finger or two fingers on the trackpad. I said, just one. He advised me to try with two fingers, and voila! That worked.

This would probably be blindingly obvious to someone used to the trackpad, but wasn't to me. I've used Macs for decades, but never one with a trackpad like this (I've had iMacs and iPads, but no laptops). And of course I just jumped in with both feet and didn't bother to read all the user guide stuff, too busy trying to get my projects done. Now I'm going to take the time to learn the gestures etc. And maybe my comment will help some other trackpad newbie down the line.

Mar 15, 2022 11:37 AM in response to Godzilla42

Hello Godzilla42,

Are you able to scroll using your Trackpad or connected mouse to view the additional options in the mentioned list? If not, we recommend testing this behavior in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

This article also contains next steps if the issue does, or does not, continue in safe mode.

Best regards.

Scroll bar on my styles list has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.