Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome download not working - insufficient permissions

I can't download anything on Google Chrome. Firefox and Safari download things just fine. I've tried:

• Changing the download location
  • Resetting my Chrome settings
  • Checking folder permissions
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome
  • Disabling all extensions
  • Clearing my cache
  • Download in incognito mode
  • I'm downloading from Google Drive so "Save As" is not an option

Thanks ahead for any help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 10:44 AM

Hello - I have done ALL of the items listed by Google and on the helpful websites and deleted with the reggieashworth.com/appdelete and reloaded the Chrome download from the above link and still receive

"Failed - Insufficient Permissions". I would use Safari BUT Safari does not play well with SalesForce.

The odd item is my MacBook Pro 2018 laptop has the same version as my iMac and it downloads everything just fine.

My iMac is a newer 2019 with Big Sur 11.6 as well and I haven't been able to download using Google Chrome since I set up my gently used iMac last week.

It's very frustrating and the delete app by reggieashworth isn't advertising that it works with Big Sur. Since so many people are having the same, identical problem I believe it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is a problem (either with the current version of Google Chrome OR its interaction with Mac OS Big Sur when it is newly installed after 11.x.

It is very inconvenient to have to bounce between Safari and Chrome to make things work when you are actually working from home!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2021 10:44 AM in response to a brody

Hello - I have done ALL of the items listed by Google and on the helpful websites and deleted with the reggieashworth.com/appdelete and reloaded the Chrome download from the above link and still receive

"Failed - Insufficient Permissions". I would use Safari BUT Safari does not play well with SalesForce.

The odd item is my MacBook Pro 2018 laptop has the same version as my iMac and it downloads everything just fine.

My iMac is a newer 2019 with Big Sur 11.6 as well and I haven't been able to download using Google Chrome since I set up my gently used iMac last week.

It's very frustrating and the delete app by reggieashworth isn't advertising that it works with Big Sur. Since so many people are having the same, identical problem I believe it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is a problem (either with the current version of Google Chrome OR its interaction with Mac OS Big Sur when it is newly installed after 11.x.

It is very inconvenient to have to bounce between Safari and Chrome to make things work when you are actually working from home!

Sep 20, 2021 10:06 AM in response to peluso91

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac.

If it says you have an Intel chip, using Safari to download it from:

https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/stable/CHFA/googlechrome.dmg

If it says you an Apple M1 chip, use:

https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/universal/stable/CHFA/googlechrome.dmg

Double click the DMG file in the Download folder, and drag the program into your Applications folder. Open it from your Applications folder.

If that doesn't work, you may need to completely remove Chrome using http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete.html

by dragging its application icon over the window from AppDelete.

Once deleted, use one of the Google links above.

Note your bookmarks/favorites may be gone. So I hope you backed it up either to a Google account or via a clone backup of your system to an external hard drive.

Google Chrome download not working - insufficient permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.