Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime hangs up after fairly long call - then fails over and over

bringing back discussion on FaceTime hang ups …

Have had issues from day 1 with new iPad Pro - 2 weeks old. When initiating or receiving calls it won’t connect every time (seems to work better if FaceTime is deactivated (slid off) on my iPhone (XR, iOS up to date). All settings are right on both devices as confirmed by Apple support. Tried all of their recos to reset settings, restart, etc. only thing I did not do yet is return to factory settings as don’t want to rebuild all the apps, files, docs etc.

BUT, when it does connect the call will drop at some point. It’s gone over and hour, sometimes drops after couple minutes. When it does drop, it’s impossible to reconnect and will fail over and over. I can sometimes get it to work by force closing FaceTime, resetting Wifi, rebooting, sliding FaceTime off/on - or some variation. Or if I leave it for a few hours!

My theories are

1. it has something to do with permissions across devices and iCloud

2.it’s a hardware setting to prevent overheating

it’s nothing to do with settings or local software. The reason it starts working again is because of time that allows something to reset either in Apple’s black box of iCloud or within the device

anyone else having these issues?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 3:22 PM

I have an iPad Pro 11” 2020, on IOS 14.7.1. I facetime about 8 - 10 people, who are on older iPads but same IOS. I only drop 2 facetime calls. There is another thread on here where they were saying that if your case has the Wake/sleep feature it has a magnet and they thought that was the cause of the dropped calls.

I removed my case and so did the other person and our call went on for about 2 hours, no drops. Previously after about 10 - 20 min. the call would drop.

I will have to try this several times to see if this will actually work. Have you tried that?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Andr3wD

I have an iPad Pro 11” 2020, on IOS 14.7.1. I facetime about 8 - 10 people, who are on older iPads but same IOS. I only drop 2 facetime calls. There is another thread on here where they were saying that if your case has the Wake/sleep feature it has a magnet and they thought that was the cause of the dropped calls.

I removed my case and so did the other person and our call went on for about 2 hours, no drops. Previously after about 10 - 20 min. the call would drop.

I will have to try this several times to see if this will actually work. Have you tried that?

Sep 8, 2021 7:11 PM in response to chrisky307

Yup, it’s the magnetic case causing the hang ups. It’s a fairly standard case with sectioned front cover that naturally folds and also sits flush to the the back of the iPad. I didn’t remove the case, just tested with position of the magnet. By folding and bending in of itself the calls work (so it only covers 1/3 or 2/3 of the back). But if you let the whole cover fold back in one piece and its magnet gets anywhere near the camera side/edge, the calls ring but disconnect instantly and/or you can not pick up incoming calls.

Bottom line, FaceTime is behaving like the case is being closed when it’s not being closed at all, just folded back. Apple should fix this behaviour

… and how useless is this site? Logging me out while typing a reply and not saving my reply so I had to write it again

FaceTime hangs up after fairly long call - then fails over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.