Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bullguard is askimg for manual approval. How is this done?

I have followed the instructions with the Bullguard icon i.e to go to System preferences to allow Bullguard access etc, but nothing seems to work and it goes on interfering with the system blocks email & hinders shutdown etc.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 3:00 PM

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

Uninstall Avast and Bullguard according to the developer's instructions. If you have any of the other "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac uninstall them also?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 3:00 PM in response to sticklebackXL

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

Uninstall Avast and Bullguard according to the developer's instructions. If you have any of the other "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac uninstall them also?

Sep 8, 2021 2:18 AM in response to sticklebackXL

First, see if "Bullguard" and "Avast" provide uninstallation instructions. If they do, follow then.

But, even if they do or don't, follow this procedure:

1. Drag the App(s) to the Trash & Empty the Trash.
  2. Restart the Computer into Safe Mode, login, and restart back into normal mode.
  3. Use Find Any File to search for "Bullguard" and "Avast" and delete any files.
  4. Restart the Computer back into Safe Mode, login, and restart into normal mode.

Follow these steps for ALL anti-virus Apps, "cleaner" Apps, etc.

From here, I'd consider to Reinstall macOS to repair or reinstall any files that the anti-virus Apps may have corrupted, deleted, modified, etc. If you're doing this, be sure you have a backup first!

Cheers,

Jack

Sep 8, 2021 12:09 PM in response to sticklebackXL

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For Bullguard software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains bull guard

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Reboot normally when done.

Sep 11, 2021 7:08 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad Thank you for your suggestions, but I have tried to follow those & others, all to no avail. I have had to cope with the annoyance caused by this app and Bullguard not being helped along cemetery road. Fortunately I am able to get Firefox and my emails through it in some way. e.g when I tried to quit or hide Bullguard on login, Firefox came up with no prompting.

Other comments have led me to understand the Avast Premium I have is not strictly necessary so I will be trying to discard that

later htis year so as not to renew it.

Bullguard is askimg for manual approval. How is this done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.