Are certain apps not in the app store able to bypass Gatekeeper Settings.

I am using a 2020 Intel MBP and in Privacy and Security I have allowed downloads only from the App store. However, I went to download Nord Pass from NordVPN's website and the download went through without me being able to confirm and allow the software to be written to my computer from settings. NordPass is not available in the App store for my laptop, but It is for phones (at least from what im seeing). If anyone can explain this to me I would really appreciate your time. Sorry if its a dumb question.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 7:53 PM

9 replies

Aug 19, 2023 7:49 PM in response to etresoft

I want to make sure I am explaining this clearly because you hit on what I am trying to say very well and you went further with apps being able to present themselves initially without intrusive downloads but then adding additional system mods.

So I download a .dmg installer Nord on one of their sites in chrome. I ran the installer expecting to have to go to settings to allow it to run like usual but instead it ran without being caught and mounted the image to my disk, this all happened while my gatekeeper settings were set to "allow applications downloaded from (app store)" selected like you mentioned. This package installer bypassed that setting even though it came from a browser not the app store. I am wondering if this happened because it is available to iphones and ipads via the app store or if theres another reason, but it seems to me like it could be a potential vulnerability. If this is a known issue or im just spinning everyones wheels here for nothin ll just leave it alone. 😁✌️

Aug 19, 2023 8:54 AM in response to stiletile

stiletile wrote:

I am using a 2020 Intel MBP and in Privacy and Security I have allowed downloads only from the App store.

That's not quite what it says. It says "Allow applications downloaded from". You can download anything you want from anywhere. Gatekeeper doesn't block the download. Gatekeeper only intervenes when you go to install the software. That is where it will check where the file was downloaded from. In fact, the App Store bypasses Gatekeeper altogether.

Aug 19, 2023 8:54 AM in response to etresoft

Hi, thank your for responding. my post wasn’t as thoughtful as it could have been. I hope I can rephrase to be more clear. I was surprised when gatekeeper allowed me to install Nord Pass. I checked the app the store for it in on my computer and did not see it, so I downloaded it from the browser. Then I went to gatekeeper assuming I would have to allow it to be installed, but I was surprised to see it wasn’t caught. Now because it wasn’t downloaded from the app store directly I am still a little confused.

Aug 19, 2023 8:55 AM in response to stiletile

stiletile wrote:

Then I went to gatekeeper assuming I would have to allow it to be installed, but I was surprised to see it wasn’t caught. Now because it wasn’t downloaded from the app store directly I am still a little confused.

I'm not sure what you are saying.

There are two different use cases that both involve "Gatekeeper", but they are significantly different based on different circumstances.

If you download any kind of installer, such as a dmg, pkg installer, or app in a zip file, Gatekeeper will display one or two dialogs. The first will be to confirm that you really want to open the file downloaded from /yada/yada/yada. But then, if the file in question doesn't meet your security requirement, whatever those happen to be, then it will be blocked with a different popup, the wording of which will be based on your security requirements.

Then, for any app that wants to install additional low-level system modifications, you may be required to also go to the Security settings in System Settings and allow it. In most cases, the software won't work properly until you do this. I'm not sure if Nord Pass includes this kind of software or not.

It sounds like you were expecting to perform this last step. However, you first have to install the app in question before you can allow those low-level components. I'm not sure from your description if you actually did that. I'm not sure if Nord Pass actually uses that. It appears to be a standalone app, but there is no way to really tell anymore. Many apps are just installer apps that will then download additional software and install it. Note that any app that does this has the capability to bypass Gatekeeper completely. 😄 That's why Apple added some additional notification in Ventura to let you know when an app installs low-level system modifications.

Yes. It is very complicated. If you keep it set to "App Store" only, then it becomes much less complicated.

Aug 19, 2023 8:09 PM in response to stiletile

I’m not convinced you ran any installer. All you did was open a DMG file. All that does is mount the virtual disk and give you access to the files therein. The NordPass file I downloaded was just an app. It may do more things later, but as far as the DMG and Gatekeeper is concerned, it is just an app. You shouldn’t be able to run the app with those settings. But yes, you can open the DMG, or even copy the app to Applications. But you won’t be able to run it. Therefore, it won’t be able to add any extensions for you to approve.

Are certain apps not in the app store able to bypass Gatekeeper Settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.