Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts on MacOS Big Sur

I seem to be unable to add a contact from my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2. I can open a blank contact and when I enter the name it immediately switches me to somewhere else in the contact list (unrelated to what I typed!) and adds a "No Name" contact entry at the end of the list of all contacts. I had 11 such "No Name" entries. I can add to my contact list from my iPad and my iPhone. Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 2:00 PM

The fact that you followed @ Luis S. suggestion and doing the Safe Mode may have helped a lot.

That specific Safe Mode does a Disk Repair, clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software.

It appeasr this may have cleared a cache file - they get recreated as needed later - unstuck something. The net result is what is being experienced - a Functional Contacts Application.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 2:00 PM in response to valpoMac37

The fact that you followed @ Luis S. suggestion and doing the Safe Mode may have helped a lot.

That specific Safe Mode does a Disk Repair, clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software.

It appeasr this may have cleared a cache file - they get recreated as needed later - unstuck something. The net result is what is being experienced - a Functional Contacts Application.

Sep 9, 2021 2:48 AM in response to valpoMac37

Does it do the same if you try adding a contact while in Safe Mode?

If it works in Safe Mode, then something you have installed is causing a problem.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Also, as a workaround, if you select one of the "No Name" contacts, and click Edit, can you edit the contact?

Sep 10, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, it did the same thing when I used Safe Mode. But, I did try to edit one of the No Name contacts and that worked. Then, (surprise!) I managed to enter a new contact today and it worked. So, I am not going to pursue this further because the problem may be resolved and/or I can edit a No Name entry if needed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Contacts on MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.