Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Family - "Find My" feature inaccurate or no location

I purchased an Apple Watch SE GPS+cellular for my child to use the Family setup. My phone carrier is Xfinity mobile and does not support the apple watch family functionality, so I setup a truphone account for the watch. All functions work perfectly except the "Find My" app.

The location is often very inaccurate (maybe 10 miles in diameter) or no location is found. I have read the various troubleshooting guides that direct me to turn location service off, then back on, etc. all "sub" features in the locations service are turned on. I have the latest software. I know the GPS built into the watch is operating, because I can use the apple maps on the watch and it shows a precise location.

Thank you for your help.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 12:35 PM

Thank you for the reply, however I hope you aren’t suggesting that “Find My” doesn’t work with Apple Watch family. The remainder of your post is generic information about location services not applicable to this issue.

lastly,

I solved my own problem. I erased the watch and reset to factory defaults. I then went through a complete setup again (not from a backup) and everything works as it should.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2021 12:35 PM in response to ASTRO24

Thank you for the reply, however I hope you aren’t suggesting that “Find My” doesn’t work with Apple Watch family. The remainder of your post is generic information about location services not applicable to this issue.

lastly,

I solved my own problem. I erased the watch and reset to factory defaults. I then went through a complete setup again (not from a backup) and everything works as it should.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Sep 12, 2021 7:38 AM in response to jasowac

More information…

the location in “Find My” is about 1 mile off. Deny location services, for both “maps” and “find my” then turn it back on.

i open “find my” on the watch and the location is wrong

i open “maps” and it takes a second to update the location, but then it is correct.

I then go check back on “find my” and finally it is correct…until I move positions. Then I have to open “maps” again to force the watch to look for its location using gps and not just the cellular network location.

Sep 9, 2021 7:27 AM in response to jasowac

Hi jasowac,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you have an Apple Watch that is setup for a family member and the location is inaccurate. You were able to review Set up an Apple Watch for a family member.

Restart Apple Watch. Toggle Location Services off and back on in Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Ensure Share My Location and Find My Network are enabled in Settings > Privacy > Location Services on Apple Watch.

Regards.

Sep 16, 2021 5:04 AM in response to jasowac

jasowac,

From this article: Set up an Apple Watch for a family member

"Note that some Apple Watch features depend on having a companion iPhone, and aren't available on an Apple Watch that you pair using Family Setup."

Also note, from: If your Apple Watch is lost or stolen

"Here's how it works

When you use Find My, your Apple Watch with GPS and cellular can use GPS and a trusted Wi-Fi or cellular connection to show you its approximate location. Apple Watch with GPS can use GPS and a trusted Wi-Fi connection."

Lastly, About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS

"How your device uses Location Services

With your permission, Location Services allows apps and websites (including Maps, Camera, Weather, and other apps) to use information from cellular1, Wi-Fi2, Global Positioning System (GPS)3 networks, and Bluetooth4 to determine your approximate location5.

Apps that can show your location on the screen, including Maps, show your current (approximate) location using a blue marker. In Maps, if your location can’t be determined precisely, you’ll see a blue circle around the marker. The size of the circle shows how precisely your location can be determined—the smaller the circle, the greater the precision. When Location Services is active, a black or white arrow icon appears in the status bar. 

Maps, directions, and location-based apps depend on data services. These data services are subject to change and might not be available in all geographic areas, resulting in maps, directions, or location-based information that might be unavailable, inaccurate, or incomplete. Compare the information provided on the device to your surroundings and defer to posted signs to resolve any discrepancies.

Learn more about Location Services and privacy.

Improve GPS accuracy

GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. To improve GPS accuracy:

• Make sure that you've set the date, time, and time zone correctly on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.

Keep a clear view in several directions. Walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this happens, your device uses Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.

Crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cellular Location Services

If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. If you're traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations, travel speed, and barometric pressure information to Apple to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road-traffic and indoor pressure databases. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple is stored with encryption and doesn’t personally identify you."

Are you able to share the location of the watch and does it appear to be accurate or are the results the same?

Use this article as a guide: Find friends and share your location with Find My With that, is the watch currently on the wrist? If not, place it on the wrist and then test for location accuracy with Find My.

Regards.

Apple Watch Family - "Find My" feature inaccurate or no location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.