Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes syncing songs that haven't been played or changed since last sync

Title kind of says it all: iMac running 11.5.2 and Music 1.1.6.37 will sync some songs to both iPhones and iPads that haven't been played or changed on any of my devices since the last sync. The number of songs varies but it's usually less than 10 and oddly, many are Christmas songs which I haven't played since last December. This issue doesn't consume much time (much less than waiting for sync to check photos) but it's confounding how these songs were put into the sync queue. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 3:09 PM

Douglass,

Thank you for those details.

We were able to locate a thread with a similar issue that was resolved.

These steps may also be able to help: Same songs are getting re-synced every time - Apple Community

Let us know if the issue persists.

Take Care!

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 13, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Douglass Scott

Hello Douglass,

It sounds like unexpected songs are being synced to your iOS devices. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

We're you using this article to sync your Music: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

If so, check the section titled "Sync or remove content using the Finder."

Do you currently have entire music library highlighted or selected artists, albums, genres, and playlists?

Let us know and we will continue form there.

Cheers!

Sep 13, 2021 2:47 PM in response to Brian_P7

Thanks. I am currently syncing the entire music library so there shouldn't have been any change in the songs' status (i.e. they haven't been played on any device, the artwork wasn't changed, etc.). I just synced two of my devices and more than 50 songs were synced on each device, a few may have been played on one or more devices but the majority were Christmas songs which haven't been played in months.

Sep 13, 2021 10:11 PM in response to Omar_A1

Thank you! Although my situation was a little different, the 2016 solution helped me fix my problem. In 2016, the issue was fixed by clearing the "work and movement" data from songs that had originally grouped as classical music. The songs in my playlist that were resyncing weren't grouped as classical so the "work and movement" data wasn't an issue for me, however, it gave me the idea to try clearing the grouping field for all songs which seems to have solved my problem: I've synced three devices so far and after an initial sync to update the device, subsequent syncs show no unwanted resyncing. Thank you for your assistance!

iTunes syncing songs that haven't been played or changed since last sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.