Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD not working with Big Sur 11.6

Apple did it again. Updated to 11.6 now the DVD drive will not play DVD's. Issue on all my Mac M1 units.

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 5:28 AM

Similar questions

74 replies

Sep 16, 2021 6:30 AM in response to tbirdvet

I'm lucky? Mine is the base MacMini with 256 SSD, 8 gig ram. I guess the next step is to look at what software is installed. I'm bog standard, nothing exotic. No games. Few odd drivers for external devices: Garmin GPS and Android File Transfer drivers are the most radical. Burn for DVD video mastering as iDVD is no longer is available. Canon MP printer/scanner drivers. Single display connected via HDMI.

DVD Player is version 6.0. Are you using the USB A ports or USB C? I've noticed some externals don't like USB-C to A adapters. Are your DVD drives USB 2 or USB 3? My OWC drive is USB 3. Wired keyboard & mouse or bluetooth? Apple brand or Logitech KB/M with dongle?

Sep 16, 2021 12:23 PM in response to majortom1967

Could be some configuration however my wife's new MBA M1 has the same issue. CD's are OK. When we try to play a DVD the Apple player opens and then nothing loads. Has been auto starting. Hitting the play icon does nothing. Not sure what apps or configuration we would have to cause this issue. Both worked fine with previous 11.5.2. It is interesting that after I went and downloaded 3 other Mac player apps I had no issues with any of them. I have the same apps that I have had for the last 8 years and never had an issue.

Sep 22, 2021 6:33 PM in response to tbirdvet

I was prompted to install 11.6 yesterday. I had watched a dvd through an external drive with no issues the night before doing this. I did the update, and now the computer recognizes the dvd, but can't play it. I spoke to technical support, who said it's an incompatibility issue. It seems my only options are to either buy a new external drive and trust that it's compatible with my operating system, or hope that apple corrects the issue they needlessly just created. And I can't uninstall the update. I wish I had ignored the call to update. So frustrating.

Sep 23, 2021 7:00 AM in response to tbirdvet

Earlier I posted Apple's DVD Player was working for me after the 11.6 update. Last night I tried to play a commercial DVD and it wouldn't play. Then I discovered some of my disks would play, others wouldn't. Deleting .plist and application support files from three different Library folders and a restart didn't change the iffy behavior.

My guess there is something in the disk encoding on commercial disks preventing playback. Various copy protection schemes have borked playback in the past (Sony, I'm looking at you.)

As always, VLC plays fine. For years my default setting in System Preferences is to ignore DVD Videos so I can manually launch the appropriate player. I have both Region 1 and Region 2 disks in my collection and this allows me to bypass the region reset of Apple's DVD Player app. VLC ignores region setting and doesn't mess with the DVD hardware's limit of 5 resets.

Sep 23, 2021 11:41 AM in response to jello mello

Commercial DVD videos are sold specific to regions of the world. Region 1 is USA (and most of North America), Region 2 is UK. DVD players are coded for the regions they will play back. Look at the back of your set top player and you'll find an icon of a globe with a number, that's your region.

DVD drives in PC's will play any region (there are 8 or 9) but you're limited to 5 resets if you try to play disks from different regions. After 5 it's locked to the last region you played.

VLC is a video player which is available for most OSes and will play a variety of formats. Google it. You'll like it.

Sep 24, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Pat Cunningham

As I spent more time with this app, I found it to be a little challenging regarding the pause function. It was harder to see the controls too, so I wound up watching the video on my old computer which can't produce sound due to an external speaker which broke inside the headphone jack, but when connected to a bluetooth speaker, sounds fine. Apple really should fix the problem which they created!

Sep 30, 2021 12:53 PM in response to tbirdvet

Please try to the following procedure.

1. If "DVD Player" is running, choose the window, and type ⌘+Q

2. On Finder, type Shift+⌘+G

3. Type "/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/"

4. "Go"

5. Choose "DVD Player"

6. Type ⌘+I

7. Check "Open using Rosetta"

8. Type ⌘+W

9. Add "DVD Player" to "Dock" by drag-and-drop

10. Open "DVD Player"

11. Insert a DVD in a disc drive, and play a DVD

This problem happens on macOS Big Sur 11.6 & Apple Silicon M1 Mac, doesn't happens on Intel Mac.

If "DVD Player" open automatically when you insert a DVD, it still doesn't works. Please choose the window, type ⌘+Q, and re-open "DVD Player" from "Dock".

I can't check replies from now on. Sorry.

DVD not working with Big Sur 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.