Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not going to device

I have a 2021 iPad Air and noticed that when I receive a message on my iPhone, it doesn't always go to my iPad. This happens with messages I get from people who are in my Contacts and with people who are not in my Contacts.

I use the same send and receive IDs for both accounts, and the iPad's Message filter is set to off.

What am I missing?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 3:20 AM

Ensure that both your iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID. To send or receive SMS/MMS messages from your iPad, you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2021 3:20 AM in response to stojef2014

Ensure that both your iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID. To send or receive SMS/MMS messages from your iPad, you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 19, 2021 9:44 PM in response to stojef2014

One possible explanation for the issue you describe would be if the missing messages were coming through the SMS/MMS system (as, for example, from an Android user) and your iPhone was not set to replay SMS/MMS messages to your iPad.

Check on your iPhone in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding to make sure the entry for your iPad shows as enabled (green).

Messages not going to device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.