Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get HP2100 printer to work on OS10.15

I have read advice on here about how to fix the issue with making my Mac work with my HP printer, but nothing has worked.

I have downloaded a so called fix from Apple (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251485457 ), but it hasn't worked, and I've reset my printer preferences , and that hasn't worked either.

Does anyone have a fix for this HP printer, for this OS?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 7:10 AM

The last driver update on the HP site for the HP LaserJet 2100 was for OS X Leopard in 2008. Those drivers will never work on Catalina. The HP LaserJet 2100 series driver support is in the Apple downloadable HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (reissued 12/2020).

Once you install the HP software, and your printer is powered, visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on your LaserJet 2100 printer entry, and select Reset printing system… This will remove the printer entry, and allow you to re-add it, but this time, with the newly installed LaserJet 2100 Series drivers.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2021 7:10 AM in response to BeckyK

The last driver update on the HP site for the HP LaserJet 2100 was for OS X Leopard in 2008. Those drivers will never work on Catalina. The HP LaserJet 2100 series driver support is in the Apple downloadable HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (reissued 12/2020).

Once you install the HP software, and your printer is powered, visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on your LaserJet 2100 printer entry, and select Reset printing system… This will remove the printer entry, and allow you to re-add it, but this time, with the newly installed LaserJet 2100 Series drivers.

Sep 20, 2021 7:30 AM in response to BeckyK

Hi,

By HP2100, do you mean an HP LaserJet 2100? If so, you may want to try the following:

To begin with, it may be a good idea to reset the printing system. Does the operating system offer a suitable driver to use?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

If not, check whether the Dec 11, 2020 HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) package download from Apple would work. Try something like the HP LaserJet 2100 Series version 19.13 driver mentioned in the Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support article.

Software conflicts cannot be ruled out when testing printer drivers. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera).

EDIT: I just noticed that VikingOSX had posted the same advice (about the HP LaserJet 2100). However, I also noticed that an HP Deskjet F2100 is shown in your image.

Sep 20, 2021 7:36 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Ah, I didn't realise there were different HP2100, this is a Deskjet F2100 series, not a Laserjet. It might just be that it's too old to work now, but of course you only find these things out when you have something urgent to print.

I've tried reseting the printing system, and downloading the updated driver from Apple but it hasn't worked unfortunately. But thanks for replying.

Sep 20, 2021 8:09 AM in response to BeckyK

HP made the LaserJet 2100 and the Deskjet F2100. Do not toss the HP folder, as the. HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS also has driver support for the Deskjet F2100 Series. Re-add the printer per my previous instructions, but this time select the Deskjet F2100 Series driver.

The last driver HP provided on their site for the DeskJet F2100 printer was for OS X 10.9 in 2014.

Sep 20, 2021 8:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

Right, so I was too impatient to wait for your last reply (thank you for that), so I backed up the HP folder and deleted it from my Mac. This has worked!! So I'm reply to this message specifically in case anyone in my position is looking for help.

The link in VikingOSX message at 7:10am for HP Printer Drivers works for me, when I reset the printing system, as they describe, but only when I deleted my HP folder from the Printer folder in Library. I tried 5-6 times up to that point and it didn't work, so I figured I have nothing to lose. I can now print.

Thank you for your help, especially as this is really an HP issue not an Apple issue. Very relieved, I needed to print something to get to the post office before it closes, and I'm just going to make it :)

Cannot get HP2100 printer to work on OS10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.