Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not open after update.

I have just updated iTunes on my Windows 10 PC through the Microsoft Store. When I did this, iTunes will no longer open providing an error message stating that some files are missing and that I should re-install iTunes. I did this twice now and still receive the same error message each time. Please see the attached screenshot of the error message below. Would someone please help me fix and get iTunes working again??

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 4:52 AM

This morning (23rd September) Apple pushed a new version of iTunes for Windows via the Microsoft store that appears to fix the problem. Suggest you try upgrading to version 12121.1.54014.0. It worked for me, good luck! :-)

19 replies

Sep 21, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Simowizard

I did not even willingly update iTunes.

But I assume that is what is causing this issue? I did literally nothing. Out of the blue I get this message now too. It drives me completely insane. I see threads from 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012 all about this issue. It's 2021....... and STILL this problem exists?! Very disappointed with this.

Sep 21, 2021 2:56 AM in response to JakubDca

Hi JakubDca.

It would be great to have a solution or for Apple to see that there is a problem so that they will immediately work on a "bug fix". I myself have an extensive library of over 4,000 songs plus countless photos and movies all that I sync with my iPhone. I really don't want to lose anything. Can you imagine how long it will take to re-rip everything from CD back into iTunes? Yes, i added my library manually.

Sep 22, 2021 4:24 AM in response to julia_g247

Hello everyone. I have a definitive result that ended positively. Okay, so there is an issue with the Microsoft Store. First of all, I initiated a support call with an Apple tech advisor by calling (from Australia) 1300321456. So, the tech advisor first initiated "screen sharing" with my approval. From there, I was shown what I needed to delete (it would be best if you all call this number from Australia. Then as an experiment, do a search on the Microsoft Store for iTunes. Guess what?? IT'S NOT THERE!! Okay, the next step is to download and install iTunes from the Apple website (NOT MICROSOFT STORE). Once it has downloaded, install it. My music and what was in the Microsoft version is still there and safe. Phew!! Again, please call Apple and initiate a tech support session to guide you through or you may accidentally delete something that you weren't supposed to. My iTunes is working again now and I thank everyone for their input. CALL APPLE SUPPORT!! There is a "glitch" with the Microsoft Store version. Thanks again everyone. Cheers with regards :-)

Sep 24, 2021 7:36 PM in response to Simowizard

I had the same problem starting Sep. 20 JPT. A nice advise on net solved the problem as a temporary fix!

Switch the windows language setting to US English from Japanese, just it!!

I hope Apple will sort out the cause immediately.

My system: Windows 10 pro 64-bit, iTunes ver-12.12.0.6

I may update iTunes' version later. Wish me Luck!

Oct 2, 2021 5:51 PM in response to TYGucci

I just updated (allowed iTunes to update upon launch), to version 12.12.1.1. I don't know which version I had installed before that. A different problem for me: iTunes launches fine, but will not detect when my iPhone is plugged in. I hear the "chirp" of a connected device in Windows 10 (and see it listed in Explorer), my iPhone prompts me to allow access to photos and videos (only - that's odd, seems it's reacting to Windows not iTunes). ITunes help/diagnostics insists iTunesHelper is not running - it's in Startup (via the registry), but is not running as a task. Trying to launch it seemingly does nothing. NO associated errors in Windows App or System logs. Hmmm? The previous version worked fine. I mainly use it to backup to computer. The Devices menu shows my phone and the last back performed to this computer.

iTunes will not open after update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.