Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri is 'unable' to read missed calls or call last missed call all of a sudden

i use this feature everyday due to visual impairment and since this morning siri has replied with "i cant help with that" when asking for missed calls, call last missed call etc.

i rely on this feature heavily and suddenly siri is unable to do this. please can someone help. no settings have been changed and others iphones are having the same issue too.

i have also restarted the phone and nothing changed.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 9:31 AM

I am reporting the same issue as described by the original poster asifbux. My grandmother also has a visual impairment and relies heavily on Siri's ability to read out missed calls - this has stopped working in the past few days. As described by asifbux, Siri now responds with "I can't help with that".

She has updated her iPhone to the latest version of iOS and has restarted her iPhone, and has tried this whilst connected to her Wifi network and using cellular data - the same issue persists.

I have also been able to replicate the same behaviour on my own iPhone - Siri no longer reads out missed calls when you ask questions like "Have I got any missed calls?".

Any guidance or promise of a fix would be much appreciated.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 9:31 AM in response to asifbux

I am reporting the same issue as described by the original poster asifbux. My grandmother also has a visual impairment and relies heavily on Siri's ability to read out missed calls - this has stopped working in the past few days. As described by asifbux, Siri now responds with "I can't help with that".

She has updated her iPhone to the latest version of iOS and has restarted her iPhone, and has tried this whilst connected to her Wifi network and using cellular data - the same issue persists.

I have also been able to replicate the same behaviour on my own iPhone - Siri no longer reads out missed calls when you ask questions like "Have I got any missed calls?".

Any guidance or promise of a fix would be much appreciated.

Sep 22, 2021 5:35 AM in response to asifbux

Hello asifbux! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand how important it is that Siri is working for you. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help.

It's possible that Siri is having trouble connecting to the internet. If this is the case, let's try the steps outlined in the following resource: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

If Siri still isn't working, there are some steps provided in the following article that can help: If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

If the issue persists, let's make sure your iPhone is up to date with the latest iOS, after creating a backup: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're still unable to have Siri provide you with your missed calls, or your last missed call, connect with Apple Support to look into this further, here: Get Support

Make it a great day!

Oct 7, 2021 8:32 AM in response to Lslo7

Hi Lslo7

I contacted the Accessibility Team at Apple and received this reply, I hope it helps, albeit not immediately:-

"We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, and we are working to reinstate some Siri Email and Phone actions, which were temporarily removed as part of updates to improve Siri. 

You will be able to ask Siri to write, send, and check unread emails in the coming weeks. Reinstating Siri actions to check call history and voicemail will take a bit more time, and we will bring back this functionality in an upcoming iOS software update. 

In the meanwhile, if you would like us to help identify some alternatives using a combination of Siri and accessibility features, please let us know."

Sincerely,

Apple Accessibility

For more information on Accessibility at Apple, please visit:

http://www.apple.com/accessibility

http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility

Dec 6, 2021 10:54 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Today I contacted Accessibility Support for an update, and while they seemed frustrated at their own lack of updates, I received some rather forward advice:

- Contact Accessibility Support and have your Apple ID added to the official engineering issue as an “affected user” so that you receive the mass e-mails about the status of this fix.

- Submit Feedback, which does affect engineering’s prioritization of this issue.

She seemed to imply the more noise that's made about this issue, the better.

Sep 25, 2021 5:36 AM in response to BenHunt

My husband is also having this problem. He is severely visually impaired and relies on this function to check that he has not missed any important calls but is constantly told by Siri "I can't help with that". This function is so important if I am not here to check his phone for him or he is expecting a call when he is not with me.

Guidance or a fix is urgently needed in these cases please.

Sep 28, 2021 5:22 PM in response to asifbux

My father is also visually impaired and can no longer use siri to get his missed calls. He absolutely has no other way of getting them and this is giving him a lot of anxiety. Bothmy work phone and my personal phones have this same issue and the IOS is up to date. Has anyone found a fix? This is a critical feature for the visually impaired.

Sep 28, 2021 6:00 PM in response to asifbux

My mother is legally blind and also uses this feature. It stopped working over a week ago. After an hour at the Genius Bar I was told it must be us to the new upgrades to Siri.

There was nothing they could do and no one in the store had any idea!

I have a brand new iPhone 12 and it is doin the same thing. Siri can not tell you missed calls who called or read a voicemail. My mother now feels helpless!

Oct 1, 2021 5:44 PM in response to Joshua Eckstein

Same holds true for me - those with low vision have benefited from the service siri HAD PREVIOUSLY provided in letting the visually impaired be made aware who/what number called. My wife is dependent on this feature being restored - so this post, now becomes a question- WHEN can the visually impaired expect APPLE to restore this not inly beneficial But VITAL feature

Oct 2, 2021 7:29 AM in response to barberlives123

My brother and I have the same issue with Siri. She used to be able to open voicemails and open and read the subject line on emails. Now she says "I can't do that". My brother has ALS, cannot use his hands, and now is completely cut off from his voicemail and emails. He doesn't understand why Apple would do that, and I cannot explain it to him.

Please fix it.

Siri is 'unable' to read missed calls or call last missed call all of a sudden

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.