Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 15, this webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred

Mistakenly installed Safari 15 when I installed latest security update for Catalina. Now on some of the secure web sites I go to, I get a message "this webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred".

I can turn off Javascript and the page will load but, not all the way. Anyone else have this problem and know what the fix is for it. All works OK with Firefox just not the new Safari 15. Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:36 AM

Similar questions

18 replies

Sep 22, 2021 9:35 AM in response to boater44

Hello boater44,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to open a website in Safari on your Mac, but you don't have this is issue if you go to the same website in Firefox. To help with this, please see if the steps in this Apple resource helps with the situation:

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2021 7:20 AM in response to boater44

Thanks for replying, boater44, and that additional info, it really helps! You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you still have this issue in a new user account, please contact Apple directly:

Get Support 

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Sep 22, 2021 6:32 PM in response to jdo_apple

Ok, I started up in safe mode and tried opening the site and then restarted in regular mode and tried opening the site and the new Safari 15 I get the same message and won't open the site. It will still open in Firefox.

Checked my other Mac that is still running Safari 14.1.2 and the site opens fine. Seems to be a bug in the Safari 15 update..

Oct 2, 2021 8:27 AM in response to boater44

Did everything Apple Support suggested : screen shared ,re-install, reboot, safe mode, new security update on Friday and still getting the issues of web page reloading. Chrome browser works but I don't like Chrome browser. Hope that Apple fixes this issues because everything was working fine until the Safari 15 update and Catalina update.

Oct 13, 2021 10:46 AM in response to boater44

Hey, boater44, I’ve got the exact same problem, and for me, it also seems to have started with the latest update to Catalina that updates Safari to version 15.  I am using a 2012 iMac.

There are a couple of my medical providers’ secure websites that I go to regularly and when I try try to access the login page I get “This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred” and I then get a blank page with a notice in the center that says “A problem repeatedly occurred with …"   and it gives me a URL that gives the website and then a “/?.ga." and then a bunch of numbers.

I'm not a big user so I don’t go to a lot of websites but I haven’t found other websites with this problem…yet.

Here’s what I’ve done with no success;

Selected “Empty Caches” in the Develop menu

Deleted the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari folder

Deleted All History

Removed all the websites in Cookies & Website Data of Safari Preferences

Added a second user account and tried accessing the websites with Safari there

Rebooted into Safe mode and used Safari

Moved the ~/Library/Safari folder to the Desktop and tried Safari again

Opened Keychain Access and in Preferences “Reset Default Keychains…”, logged out and back in

Moved the ~Library/Keychains folder to the Desktop, logged out and back in

Booted into Recovery and re-installed Catalina.

iPad and iPhone works fine

Works fine on a friend’s 2014 Mac mini using Catalina 15.7 and Safari version 15.

After doing the Safe boot and re-installing Catalina, I am now convinced it’s a bug in version 15.

I'm a casual user so I don't have any third very apps, except for Firefox, which I just added in order to access those websites. I'd rather use Safari, so a fix to this would really be appreciated.

I’d love to hear someone’s ideas of what else to try.

Oct 13, 2021 12:23 PM in response to plcmms

Hey plcmms

I pretty much done all you have done with the exception of re-installing Catalina, didn't do that.

I have a MacBook pro that I updated all the updates on including Safari 15 that I'm having the problem with as you are.

I also have a Mac Mini, running Catalina, that I did all the updates on except I did not update to Safari 15, stayed with the older Safari 14.something. I do not have the problem on my Mac Mini that I have with my MacBook Pro. I've resigned to the fact that I'm going to use FireFox on my MacBook Pro for the secure sites I go to until they come out with a fix for Safari 15. It's a little inconvenient but, not worth, for me, worrying about anymore,

Oct 15, 2021 7:06 AM in response to JG Booysen

Thanks for that, JG Booysen

I clicked that link and it recommends using an installer located at swcdn.apple.com. I've never heard of swcdn.apple.com so did some checking. It seems to be a legitimate server for Apple but I still have one question.

Why is this version of Safari not being pushed out as an update Software Update by Apple for this fix?

Oct 15, 2021 1:47 PM in response to plcmms

Hi plcmms. Hope it helped resolve your issue. I am not sure why “software catalog domain server” (swcdn) packages aren’t more easily accessible to users for resolving software related issues.

I wish I had a good answer for you here. But unfortunately I have no idea why the Safari 15.0 update was rolled out to MacOS 10.15 users in that state, and why the reinstall package was not pushed to resolve the issue(maybe the issue hasn’t reached their software maintenance staff, or only did so recently). Luckily no MacOS reinstall is required to resolve the issue.

[insert sigh of relief here]

Oct 16, 2021 8:38 AM in response to JG Booysen

Thank you JG Booysen!! It worked for me!

Kudos to you for pointing us to that other conversation. I would still be searching for the answer to this problem.

I've never heard of the swcdn.apple.com website, so I learned something with this, too. I did some checking to make sure that this was a safe website. It's a shame Apple is not more forthcoming with the fix for this. I guess they have a good reason, though, why they choose to make it known through all these forums.

Thanks again!

Hope boater44 tries this.

Oct 31, 2021 9:24 AM in response to boater44

I liked Safari until version 15. Again, Apple did not test this version properly and the version 15 of Safari is a nightmare to me. I have constant issues reloading websites when the browsers freezes in the middle of the load. Google Chrome doesn't.

No change with Safari 15.1:

Apple, stop pushing bad software to end-users! Meanwhile you lost your advantage over Microsoft with regards to stability and liability of your software (and hardware) products. If you want to loose even more market share, go on like this.

safari 15, this webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.