You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t set my HomePod minis as the default Audio Output in the new 2021 Apple 4KTV with TVOS 15.

1) Has anyone faced this problem since upgrading to TVOS 15? Keep in mind it still works as a temporary audio output.

2) For those that have the default audio working with their HomePod minis, does arcade sound now play through the HomePod minis? Also navigational clicking sounds?

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:43 AM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2021 12:47 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hi Vancouver22,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. However the HomePod Minis have still not been able to produce any sound under the Default Audio Output. They connect but no sound comes out at all. Yet they work under Temporary Audio Output.

Below are my responses to your suggestions:

”Did you also update the HomePods and the device you set it up with to iOS 15? Need to do that. >>>> Yes did all this.

otherwise try some restarts (not reset) of ATV, HomePods and the iOS device. >> did this all too.

Do your minis show up to choose? >>> They always show up. Or do but won’t take? >> yes, they won’t take as in, connect but no sound comes out of them under Default Audio Output

Everything needs to be on the same home Wi-Fi network and everything connected to the same Apple ID, Bluetooth turned on. >>> Yes all of them are under the same wifi, Apple ID and Bluetooth is on on the iPhone and iPad.

Restart Apple TV - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Restart your iPad - Apple Support ( if this is the device you used to set up HomePods)

Restart HomePod from the Home App: 

Open the Home App - Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod  >> Did all this and still not working

As a last resort you might need to Reset Apple TV and/or the HomePod >> haven’t done this.If I put the TV speakers as default I can then select the HomePod minis as temporary audio output and they work without any issues.

Sep 26, 2021 10:22 AM in response to Vancouver22

Hello Vancouver22,

I have finally succeeded!!! in setting the HomePod minis as the default Audio Output AND getting sound.

This is what I did:

I got my iPad and separated the HomePod minis first (separated from stereo pair)

Then I reset them individually

Then I used the iPad to set them up again individually and it asked on the first one, whether I wanted it to be the default audio output speaker.. and I said yes

Once the first one was setup completely. I tested it and it worked alone as the default audio output.

Then went to set up the 2nd HomePod mini it asked if I'd like to make a stereo paid for default audio output and.. I said yes.

Now they are both setup and working very well as the Default Audio Output!!!!

Finally!! LOL!!

Thanks for all your time and help!

Sep 21, 2021 11:48 AM in response to PS4AMG

Did you also update the HomePods and the device you set it up with to iOS 15? Need to do that.

otherwise try some restarts (not reset) of ATV, HomePods and the iOS device.

Do your minis show up to choose? Or do but won’t take?

Everything needs to be on the same home Wi-Fi network and everything connected to the same Apple ID, Bluetooth turned on

Restart Apple TV - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Restart your iPad - Apple Support ( if this is the device you used to set up HomePods)

Restart HomePod from the Home App: 

Open the Home App - Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

As a last resort you might need to Reset Apple TV and/or the HomePod

Sep 22, 2021 3:16 PM in response to PS4AMG

Hold off on the ATV Reset for now. You would need to set everything up again and lose your Ariel screensavers that you had download ionto the Apple TV

I see I missed something you can try:

• on the Apple TV in settings - Users Accounts- your name - iCloud- sign out.
  • undo checking the minis a default audio- put back to tv speakers
  • Restart it
  • then sign back in.
  • Set up AirPlay & HomeKit again on the ATV
  • Try adding the minis again to default audio

Also, if you wish, Restart HomePods: Open the Home App - Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

See if that helps. Even I f you did this already, it might work by trying again. Do in the order I wrote it out, I had to edit this and add things. You can also deselect the tv speakers in the home app in your Apple TV - it could work better?

Sep 22, 2021 4:47 AM in response to Vancouver22

I’ve installed iOS 15 to the iPhone and iPadOS 15 to the iPad and TVOS 15 to the new 4K Apple TV and TVOS 15 to the HomePod minis.

I’ve then restarted all of them after failing to set the speaker default to the HomePod minis. I even rebooted the wifi router.

I switched them all off for a few minutes and started them all again.

Still no luck. The temporary speaker solution works without problems but the set to default speaker still doesn’t work.

I’m running the 4K Apple TV through my Yamaha RXV 770 receiver. With the video going to the projector out of the receiver. I will now try running the Apple TV directly to the projector to see if that changes anything.

Sep 24, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Vancouver22

Thanks for the continuous support Vancouver22 but still not working. I followed your latest advice list and did it twice. After that didn't work, I then reset & updated (it was already TVOS15) the Apple 4K TV, however, it still failed to properly pair with the HomePod Minis. I then followed your instructions again, twice, but no luck.

Please advise any possible next steps.

Thanks again.

I can’t set my HomePod minis as the default Audio Output in the new 2021 Apple 4KTV with TVOS 15.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.