Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Remove Floating icon tray in last upgrade

Latest upgrade 'features' a tray with icons floating above screen at bottom of page which you have to close by tapping screen to remove. Is there a way to turn this off?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 8:33 AM

The “Dock” is a fundamental element of the iPad User Interface - visible at the bottom of all Home Screens - and can be exposed in other Apps by swiping-up from the bottom edge of the screen.

The Dock cannot be disabled.

iPadOS 15 introduces a “Shelf” - used to show alternative instances of the same App. This element of the UI is similarly a core element of the multi-tasking OS and cannot be disabled.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 8:33 AM in response to erich100

The “Dock” is a fundamental element of the iPad User Interface - visible at the bottom of all Home Screens - and can be exposed in other Apps by swiping-up from the bottom edge of the screen.

The Dock cannot be disabled.

iPadOS 15 introduces a “Shelf” - used to show alternative instances of the same App. This element of the UI is similarly a core element of the multi-tasking OS and cannot be disabled.

Sep 23, 2021 11:12 AM in response to MichelPM

The dock you refer to is not the one I was asking about. This one is new with the latest iOS 15. LotusPilot has described it as a 'Shelf'. It requires a screen tap to clear it from the screen - would be a better utility if called rather than automatically popping up and requiring the user to close it. I use, and prefer, double clicking the home button to see all opened pages.

Sep 23, 2021 11:21 AM in response to erich100

Yeah,

That new Shelf feature looks like an issue, but it, also, looks like it could be useful.

I am waiting out upgrading to iPadOS 15 until a few point releases when this get more stable and things work better.

I never rush into any iOS/iPadOS upgrades/update.

I wait to see how all these things pan out with other users with any iOS/iPadOS upgrades/updates.

I ALWAYS choose stability over new cool, “whizbang” features introduced into ANY computer/computing device OS.

How To Remove Floating icon tray in last upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.