Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when using Apple maps on Ios15

I have updates to iOS 15, and now have no sound (voice directions) when using the app. Checked all the obvious causes, but still nothing.

Was working perfectly up to iOS 14.8

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 2:45 PM

101 replies

Sep 24, 2021 5:49 PM in response to madala2021

madala2021 Said:

"No sound when using Apple maps on Ios15: I have updates to iOS 15, and now have no sound (voice directions) when using the app. Checked all the obvious causes, but still nothing. Was working perfectly up to iOS 14.8"

-------

Go Here: If you Hear No Sound or Distorted Sound from your iPhone - Apple Support. Seems, the most obvious solution is enabling the Ring/Silent switch.

Whatelse to Try:

• Check: your sound settings
  • Check: sound with an app
  • Plug: headphones into your device
  • Turn off: Bluetooth
  • Restart: your device

Jan 1, 2022 2:46 PM in response to madala2021

Since installing iOS15.2 I too am unable to access a navigation voice when using Maps. Tried every trick and tip that Googling it has to offer - including Apple's own suggestions - with no luck. In the Maps app I don't even have the Navigation Voice Volume option, as that has also disappeared. When using Maps actively in navigation, I swipe up, as suggested on one site, in order to find the Navigation Volume, and that is also not there. Nor is there any Volume icon anywhere on the Maps page.

Sep 24, 2021 5:26 PM in response to madala2021

Hi madala2021, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that after updating to iOS 15, your Apple Maps no longer have sound when providing directions. We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you. When you initiate the route, do you see the volume icon? Is it muted?

Are you using CarPlay?

We understand that you've already checked the obvious causes, would you mind telling us what steps you've performed?

We’d like to avoid asking you to perform a step you’ve done.

In the meantime, we recommend that you try the steps in the article below.

If Maps isn't working on your Apple device

Take care!

Nov 13, 2021 10:30 AM in response to madala2021

I found a workaround, awkward but it works:

• I have a 2016 BMW with "rudimentary" BlueTooth connectivity so that my calls can be made and received Hands-Free
  • Unfortunately, the GPS Voice Prompts are heard only partially, the beginning of the message is usually cut-off. I have "enough" of the message to be useful.
  • In order to get the Voice-Prompts on my car system, I switch on the "Directions on Radio" button. (See image).
  • If I want to have the full Voice Prompts, I have to "Disconnect" my phone from the car Bluetooth system. But then, I lose my ability to have calls made on my Bluetooth car system.
  • You would think that just switching off the "Directions on Radio" button would let the voice prompts work on the phone speaker system, but I hear nothing when I do. Apple has to fix this.

Dec 7, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Justin444

Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. Like you, I've tested this as well and am just as able to get the sound out of the phone as you are not. I've got the iPhone connected via Bluetooth to the vehicle, and changing the switch, I can get the sound out of the car or the phone. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but you can provide feedback to Apple about your dislike of this change and ask for the change back by going to their feedback page, www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html I hope you get your wish.

Dec 14, 2021 8:45 AM in response to HarveyFich

I have a 2014 Honda Accord with HandsFreeLink. With IOS 14 Apple Maps app always defaulted to this which I didn't care for and wanted my audio to go thru my iPhone. It was simple to just swipe up from the bottom, choose audio and select my iPhone. Since IOS 15 removed this option my iPhone is now silent. Justin444 found the solution and it works every time. I open maps, swipe down from the top to open control center and click on the airplay icon. By default HandsFreeLink is checked but iPhone is there and I select that. Close the control center and the voice is now coming thru my iPhone.

Finally I have been encouraged by Apple support to leave feedback about this issue. They say that Apple reads them and if they see enough people having this issue the more likely they will address it. Here is the link. Choose Maps.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Oct 3, 2021 10:54 AM in response to gruversm

Same problem here that happened when I upgraded to iOS 15

iPhone 12 Mini

BMW 2016

No CarPlay

Maps used to have an Audio Output Selector in the previous version. We could select iPhone / Speaker / AirPods / Any other source of BlueTooth. That selector switch disappeared with iOS 15.

Now, I have to wait for the system to connect with the car BlueTooth, then I put on my AirPods, and I get back the Directions Voice Prompts.

How do we get to manually select the Audio Output now, other than this workaround?

Oct 4, 2021 4:30 AM in response to PRouleau

I agree, there are no audio options in maps anymore. I want my phone to play the maps navigation audio while my phone is connected to my car through Bluetooth. The only workaround I have found is to disable Bluetooth while in my car. Oh or I use WAZE because it lets you select audio options. Apple, please fix this and bring back audio options in maps!

Oct 6, 2021 8:10 AM in response to madala2021

They need to bring the audio selector back. AND there needs to be a way to set default audio output. I didn't like having to select iPhone EVERY TIME i used navigation. There should be the option to set it and forget it. I don't want navigation to come through my speakers/Bluetooth. I want it to come through my iPhone. (Google Maps audio is still working fine.)

2013 Honda Accord EXL

iPhone 12

iOS 15

No sound when using Apple maps on Ios15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.