Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music.app has deleted artwork from 1,078 tracks after upgrade to M1 MBA w/ Big Sur

When I moved from my 2009 MBA to a new M1 MBA running Big Sur, Music stripped the album art from over 1000 tracks. Using File > Library > Get Album Artwork is worthless, sometimes returning an error showing me a list of the 244 albums it couldn't find art for (among them albums from the Talking Heads , the Go-Gos, the Beatles, Green Day, R.E.M. and others that a simple GIS could find), and other times just saying "Processing Album Artwork" at the bottom of the sidebar for 3-4 minutes, then...nothing changes and there's no messaging of any kind from the app.

Worse, some of the albums are ones I previously added art to myself, meaning Music didn't just toss out artwork iTunes had previously found and applied, but also tossed out artwork that was associated with images that are still on my hard drive.

Any solutions available for this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 11:21 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 26, 2021 7:40 PM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

I had this same problem (missing artwork) when upgrading to new OSes (Mojave to Catalina) - which was the move from old (disco'd) iTunes to the newer Music for MacOS app. After trying a handful of times, I gave up trusting Music to find the proper artwork and manually updated all mine. Here's how I think about it (right or wrong though it may be):

There appears to be a difference between the way Music handles the artwork of "streamed" (Apple Music purchased) songs and songs you "own" or imported manually yourself (non-streamed songs via Apple Music servers). The tags for song title, artist, album, year? track time? (and who knows what else?) must exactly match the stored Apple Server versions in order for the "auto load artwork" algorithm to work well. And even then, there appear to be hiccups. I tried in vain to change my library file tags to match the Apple Music server names (as best I could guess them from friends' libraries), and still auto artwork didn't succeed.

Accurate tags have always been a mess across all music platforms and it appears they'll never make real progress. There's no money to be made in better/accurate tags. Conversely, updating tags willy nilly to attract more eyeballs allows companies to make money anew on older files. Just re-purpose the tags, even if they're misleading, to keep up with trends. Capitalism at its best (or bratwurst)? : )

I have only a few hundred Apple Music streamed purchases, and 80k+ "owned" files. I lost the artwork for about 6,000 files during my transition. Interestingly, it wasn't my oldest, nor newest imported files that seemed to be missing the artwork. Years ago, there was a version of iTunes that included a command in the vein of: "Save artwork to media file." Before or after this (not sure which, or maybe even both?) the artwork was saved to a dedicated Artwork folder. Meaning, some vintages of media files did not contain the art, while other vintages did. This Artwork folder has come and gone, depending on when you last saved artwork to the media files. So it's even worse than a "vintage" or timing (e.g., iTunes versioning) problem.

Then this command went away. Presumably because the then-current evolution of iTunes handled the artwork in another (superior) way. Thus, the artwork across time has been handled in several different ways. As is the nature of all software, the newest Music app likely can't handle every old version of iTunes artwork handling. Just push your internal "accept" button on these kinds of things, it's how the world works.

So, I'll suggest biting the bullet, and crank through updating your missing artwork manually. While it's a pain, it'll bring your vintage files up-to-date. Always a good thing, despite the pain.

Sep 27, 2021 2:56 PM in response to SteveSWall

@SteveSWall, yeah, that's what I figured would be the end result. And yeah, that's how I came this problem as well: I leapt from a 2009 MBP running El Capitan to a 2020 M1 MBA running Big Sur. And yeah, the much, much older tracks didn't have the problem. And yeah, most of the tracks with lost art were tracks where the art was added manually, which makes it even more frustrating.

Thanks.

PS: In a deep dive of my subfolders, I actually found some of the missing artwork. I guess Music is just ignoring those old iTunes files.

Music.app has deleted artwork from 1,078 tracks after upgrade to M1 MBA w/ Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.