Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to empty trash on mail app.

On the iPadOS and iOS mail app, I am unable to delete all emails in trash (at once) get . I saw a similar issue a few years back, and I set all of the accounts to send discarded emails to trash and it’s not helping. There are other email apps out there, but many have privacy concerns. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

If it helps, I’m currently on iPadOS 15 on an iPad 8th gen, and my iPhone is on iOS 15 and is a XS.

iPhone XS, 15

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 4:16 PM

Thank you for the reply G-F!

If you to Mail > tap the Trash folder of the account you wish to delete from > tap Edit on the top-right > Select All (to select all mail in Trash folder) > tap Delete on the bottom right, does this delete all of the mail from the Trash folder? If not, does this occur with one specific account or all accounts? If this does not delete all of the mail from the Trash folder, what happens when you attempt this?

If you want the ability to delete mail from the Trash folder on all mail accounts at once, you can leave Apple feedback and suggestions here:

Product Feedback

This might seem like a simple step, but have you tried restarting your device? Restarting your device can potentially resolve unexpected issues:

Restart your iPhone

Keep us posted!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 4:16 PM in response to G-F

Thank you for the reply G-F!

If you to Mail > tap the Trash folder of the account you wish to delete from > tap Edit on the top-right > Select All (to select all mail in Trash folder) > tap Delete on the bottom right, does this delete all of the mail from the Trash folder? If not, does this occur with one specific account or all accounts? If this does not delete all of the mail from the Trash folder, what happens when you attempt this?

If you want the ability to delete mail from the Trash folder on all mail accounts at once, you can leave Apple feedback and suggestions here:

Product Feedback

This might seem like a simple step, but have you tried restarting your device? Restarting your device can potentially resolve unexpected issues:

Restart your iPhone

Keep us posted!

Sep 27, 2021 12:42 PM in response to G-F

Hey there G-F,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues deleting mail. We're happy to provide some assistance.

To confirm, are you following the steps here?:

Delete emails on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If so, are you able to delete mail individually? Also, have you tried deleting the mail on the provider's website? Deleting mail from the provider's website should sync and delete from your devices as well.

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Unable to empty trash on mail app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.