Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16’ dead but mouse click still works

Hello,

My macbook pro 16’ 2019 unexpectedly died last night. I believe the battery was low and I had closed the lid and kept it on the table without charging.

Fast forward 4-5 hours, it won’t start, the screen is fully black, touch bar is black, keyboard lights not working, but the mousepad click still works, and the left bottom side of the laptop is hot.

I’ve tried resetting SMC but no success.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 5:55 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 27, 2021 3:22 PM in response to siddarth_1999

Hi siddarth_1999,

We understand your Mac is having issues starting up. If you're still experiencing this issue after attempting the troubleshooting steps in If your Mac doesn't turn on, we'd recommend contacting Apple Support next. They'll be able to get a closer look at your Mac with you to find a resolution. You may reach them directly from Get Support.

Take care.

Sep 30, 2021 5:41 AM in response to siddarth_1999

Hi Sidd

I have started a discussion thread on this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253164713

Some “leroydouglas” started quoting Grant Bennet-Alder to discourage the conversation.

The thread also has other recent examples I have found and you might want to share your example there as well. I have not gone to any local shops but read that this top line model has been having a lot of issues especially in India. We probably got dumped with some third rate production lot

Sep 29, 2021 10:57 AM in response to abhijit49

Hey Abhijit

The people at Apple Service centre told me that the whole motherboard would be replaced, but didn’t give a specific reason as to why. So i went to a local shop which fixes macbooks, they found that the SSD had been shorted out of nowhere which rendered the whole motherboard useless. He also said that he had seen atleast 7 macbooks with the same issue before mine.

Apple service centre gave me an estimate of 62,000 INR.

Sep 30, 2021 4:30 PM in response to ku4hx

Hi ku4hx,

I don’t want to sound rude, but the laptop was still running. The laptop had some battery remaining, it was warm on the bottom left side and the clicks in the mousepad were working. As soon as it got cold, the mousepad stopped working. I assume the left bottom side is warm due to the presence of the battery. Please research more before you comment, and if you do, then post the proof as well.

Thanks.

Macbook Pro 16’ dead but mouse click still works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.