Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 11.6 app store login fails

I recently "upgraded" to macOS 11.6 from 10.14.6

The App Store doesn't work. When I try to sign in, it seems to work but "Sign In" still appears in the lower left corner of the window.

If I try to download a app, say Keynote, the progress indicator just spins and nothing happens.

In System Preferences, Apple ID, everything seems fine.

If I try to login to Music, it accepts my email/password and loops back to the login dialog immediately.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 2:26 PM

I found a "fix". I created a new user account and it has no problem loging in with the SAME Apple ID & password.

There is something wrong with the old user account. I called Apple support, tier 2 finally suggesting "reinstalling macOS", which did nothing but waste time and bandwidth, since the problem is somewhere in the Data volume for that specific user.

I figure that the problem was created while upgrading in-place from macOS 10.14.6.

If I had the time I would compare the ~/Library/Preferences folders between the 2 accounts to see if I could isolate the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 2:26 PM in response to MichelleT18

I found a "fix". I created a new user account and it has no problem loging in with the SAME Apple ID & password.

There is something wrong with the old user account. I called Apple support, tier 2 finally suggesting "reinstalling macOS", which did nothing but waste time and bandwidth, since the problem is somewhere in the Data volume for that specific user.

I figure that the problem was created while upgrading in-place from macOS 10.14.6.

If I had the time I would compare the ~/Library/Preferences folders between the 2 accounts to see if I could isolate the problem.

Sep 28, 2021 3:05 PM in response to Thorgrim_

Hello Thorgrim_

It sounds like you are unable to use the App Store or Music. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

This article may be able to provide some guidance: If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Which Mac are you currently using? Does this issue persist in another user account? Also, are you able to test on another network?

Cheers!

macOS 11.6 app store login fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.