Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Navigation voice volume

Navigation voice volume in Apple maps is missing in iOS 15. It is annoying to hear the map whispering the direction if I play music in my car. I don’t even use the Apple Music app. I use Spotify. How on earth can Apple bring back the Navigation voice volume in Apple Maps.

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 10:59 AM

This is not correct. Adjusting the volume with the side buttons is global. It will also make the music play louder. There should be an independent way to adjust the navigation volume, but it was removed.

Similar questions

112 replies

Oct 11, 2021 1:19 PM in response to appleclouduser

In iOS 15 I cannot find a way to control the volume, independently from music/podcasts being played, of the voice guidance in the current version of Apple Maps. Most are saying to just use the volume up/down buttons on the iPhone, but this seems to be global, and also changes the volume of music/podcasts being played. So if your listening to music very softly, you'll barely hear Siri speak the directions (or alerts). When you turn it up to hear Siri's voice guidance, once completed, you'll get alarmingly loud music. I can no longer find any options for 'Voice Guidance Volume'. Please help.

Jan 26, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Pilerman

Newly updated 15.2.1 does not return the navigation volume feature. Search in Settings still shows the setting, but the results simply land in Maps’ settings.

That said, I do experience slight improvement using Settings > Music > Soundcheck ON. It seems that the LUFS level on some Apple Music tracks is not as loud as others. Earlier articles mentioned this setting had zero effect on streaming music. This is no longer true, and Soundcheck seems to set a Music volume between them.

Using the same song from different albums:

LOWER LEVEL EXAMPLE

https://music.apple.com/us/album/i-just-wanna-stop/1443919162?i=1443919221

HIGHER LEVEL EXAMPLE

https://music.apple.com/us/album/i-just-wanna-stop/1445882873?i=1445883162

Sep 28, 2021 6:50 PM in response to appleclouduser

Hi appleclouduser,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. You've mentioned that the volume is low when directions are being given if you're listening to music in your car. If you go to Settings > Maps > Navigation & Guidance, is the voice volume set correctly? Can you try adjusting the sound with the volume keys on the side of your device?

Quickly find your Maps settings on iPhone

Kind regards.

Sep 4, 2022 9:56 PM in response to Alancito

1. Siri voice - controlled by the volume buttons on the iPhone
  2. other apps - controlled by the volume buttons on the iPhone
  3. Siri voice - controlled by car volume dial
  4. other apps - controlled by car volume dial

I don't know if each app is controlled differently yet; aka youtube having its own setting vs spotify.

Basically, you can set Siri to 50% on the iPhone volume setting, but also set it to 70% on the car setting and they will combine to form a sound level. You could then set Spotify to 70% on the phone, but 80% on the car for a combined volume level.

Jan 2, 2022 8:12 PM in response to Atoledo1138

Sorry, but the volume of Maps, Apple Music, SIRI, everything is a global setting. You can ask SIRI the volume and the response will be in volume percentage. I even have a shortcut that raises my volume to 90% when my iPhone connects to my car’s BT, and back to 55% when connected to my home WiFi.

I was finding days when both the Map voice navigation and Music were at the same relative volume, but that is at lower speeds. I wanted to see if my car’s adaptive volume setting (based on speed) was the culprit, but I haven’t had time.

PS: if you search in settings, Apple left behind the Navigation Voice Volume, but it can no longer take you to that setting.

Jan 25, 2022 6:56 AM in response to appleclouduser

That's correct! In iOS 14 you could set the voice to loud. They removed that setting in iOS 15 and it was replaced with "pause podcasts". That setting might work well for podcasts, I wouldn't know though because I listen to ZERO podcasts, only music from my iTunes library!!

You have to have your radio set at a loud hearing level in order to hear the voice directions being spoken from the navigation. This is fine when I'm driving by myself but not so great when I have my family with me.

It would be really great if they'd give us separate volume levels instead of just a global one.

Oct 11, 2021 3:40 PM in response to Jon Kane

I agree. I do notice that Podcast volume is more relative to the navigation volume. The Apple Music volume must be extremely loud to hear the navigation. I attempted to turn up the volume WHILE Siri was speaking the directions, but then the music also plays louder. Apple should have volume independence for all apps, that way they could be better balanced. I believe Waze still has a setting for loudness.

Navigation voice volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.