Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Health App Activity refresh is delayed

Hi,

I recently updated my iphone 12 to ios15. Since then, I have noticed that the Walking + Running Distance under Activity in the Health app is not refreshed instantly. It takes 5-10 minutes to refresh. If I am out walking, I dont get the current distance I have covered. Its always delayed by some minutes. Previously, it used to get updated instantly. If I had the app open while walking, it would keep updating the distance every few seconds. Now, I have to wait 5-10 minutes after I am done to know how much distance I walked.

Anybody else noticed this issue or any solutions out there?

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:47 AM

I have the same problem. Apple Health APP does not update Steps and Miles real time anymore.

I met "The Genius" at apple store and I was told Apple had stopped this feature of real time updates.

This App is very important to me and I really wish apple did not stop this feature.

I have talked to all my colleagues at work and they all feel the same way ??

I asked " The Genius " as to why this change was initiated ..............there was Radio silence!

I guess it may be a means to promote the Watch sales!!

Either way ... This is Not Fair that they took away this feature.

Similar questions

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 6:47 AM in response to schakro

I have the same problem. Apple Health APP does not update Steps and Miles real time anymore.

I met "The Genius" at apple store and I was told Apple had stopped this feature of real time updates.

This App is very important to me and I really wish apple did not stop this feature.

I have talked to all my colleagues at work and they all feel the same way ??

I asked " The Genius " as to why this change was initiated ..............there was Radio silence!

I guess it may be a means to promote the Watch sales!!

Either way ... This is Not Fair that they took away this feature.

Feb 15, 2022 3:53 PM in response to schakro

I believe I’ve worked out a clunky way of getting more up to date step counts:

1. Use the app just on the step section.
  2. Double press the home button
  3. Swipe up to close,
  4. When you reopen the app go back to the step section it will give you an updated step count.

Not ideal but better than waiting 10 minutes for an update. Works for me, hopefully will work for you.

Oct 26, 2021 3:22 PM in response to schakro

Thanks scharko for filing an enhancement. I did the same enhancement request.

I found a very ugly work-around:

In health app, click on the person icon in upper right

Select Devices

Select your device

Select Walking and running (you'll see a bunch of data points)

Go back

Select Walking and running again (you should see new data point(s))

Go back

Repeat for Steps, Flights Climbed, etc.

I found this procedure forces a refresh

Sep 29, 2021 3:04 PM in response to schakro

Hi schakro,

Thanks for the additional information. If you haven't already, we'd also recommend quitting the Health app and reopening it to see if there's still a delay.

For reference: Quit and reopen an app on iPhone

If the issue persists, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support next. You may reach them directly from Get Support.

Take care.

Oct 27, 2021 7:48 PM in response to tvf_SFBay

Thats interesting, I followed the steps you mentioned. But in my case, the most recent data points are from July 25. Even after multiple tries.

I also updated to ios 15.1 yesterday and today I noticed that the refresh time now is much faster. Seems like the information is now refreshing every 2 minutes or so where it took more than 5 mins earlier.

Nov 4, 2021 9:19 AM in response to schakro

Right 15.1 I updated to 15.1 2 days ago. Data refresh is still a bit slow, but similar to pre-iOS 15. If I work with another app (like check mail), it seems to force a refresh. Just weird that we know the data is there, but the app refresh is so slow, inconsistent. I’m sure Apple has a reason (like you indicated in an earlier post), but it doesn’t make sense to me.

Feb 2, 2022 12:03 AM in response to schakro

I started having the same problem after updating to iOS 15.3. talked to Apple Support. They gave the same party line how it’s not supposed to update on real-time. Of course the tech ignored my comments that it was updating much more rapidly previously. He gave the same suggestion- get a wearable or a device made for tracking steps, etc in real time.

I agree that this is most likely a marketing ploy to increase iwatch sales.

Feb 10, 2022 5:36 AM in response to Community User

It’s really unfortunate apple and these technology companies do this. Instead of focusing on making everything a complete upgrade and focus to improve the consumer experience ABOVE ALL ELSE, they want to upgraded just enough to increase phone sales and other products. But they would increase their phone sales with those laggards (like myself) who are skeptical and hesitant to upgrade for reasons like this. I take the “if ain’t broken don’t fix it” approach to buying a new phone because of crap they pull like this.

APPLE, Just focus on improving consumer experience 💯‼️

iPhone Health App Activity refresh is delayed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.