Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync iCloud photos to iPad when there are finder synced photos?

I am migrating my photos to iCloud. Formally, I would sync my iDevices with my Mac so each of the devices had a copy of the photos. When I attempt to turn on iCloud photos in Settings => Photos from my iPad, it says Finder syncing is not compatible and that the photos will be removed. I select remove photos and videos but when I leave that view and come back, the iPhoto's iCloud sync is not selected.

I try the same thing from Settings => Apple ID => iCloud => photos => iCloud photos and turn it on. I get the same message. I leave and come back and setting does not stick.

What do I need to do to sync iCloud photos to iPad when there are finder synced photos? Do I just need to be more patient. (Not a strength of mine!)

Paul

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 7:21 AM

Hi Paul Kleeberg, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you want to Set up iCloud Photos on all your devices. We have found some Apple Support resources below that can help. 

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support 

How to access and view iCloud Photos — Apple Support - YouTube

For additional resources about Photos, visit the Photos - Official Apple Support page. 

Cheers! 

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 7:21 AM in response to Paul Kleeberg

Hi Paul Kleeberg, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you want to Set up iCloud Photos on all your devices. We have found some Apple Support resources below that can help. 

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support 

How to access and view iCloud Photos — Apple Support - YouTube

For additional resources about Photos, visit the Photos - Official Apple Support page. 

Cheers! 

Sep 30, 2021 8:18 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hi SnckZ,

Thanks for the links, I had read those and it still didn't seem to answer my question. I just got off the phone with Apple support and Kim was very helpful. In explaining to me how this works. It appears like all the originals will eventually be loaded on iCloud and I can also choose to have the originals are all loaded onto my Mac: Photos => Preferences => iCloud => Download originals to this Mac. I understand my Finder synchronized photos on my other devices will be deleted and eventually synchronized with the cloud and with the Mac. It is just an extremely slow process.

I will report back here once the process is complete. That will probably not be for several days.

Paul

Sep 30, 2021 6:30 PM in response to Paul Kleeberg

Thanks again SnickZ.

Everything seems to be going as intended, just very slowly. After 36 hours i am just over a quarter of the way through.

Since I used this computer in past to upload the photos to the phone, The tab “sync photos to your device from photos" is checked.  Since I am using iCloud now for photos and continue to use the computer to back-up and synchronize files not on iCloud, do I uncheck this feature? I fear it will screw things up.

Paul

How do I sync iCloud photos to iPad when there are finder synced photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.