Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi network

I can’t connect my Apple TV to my work network at all, it keeps giving me this error: The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try Again (-100)

the thing is though it never opens up the page to enter the password, it instantly goes to this error every time I select the Wi-Fi network from the Wi-Fi selection page. There is no page that opens to enter the password in, this is even after a factory reset.

(I forgot which generation of Apple TV it is) all I know is it is not the first gen

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 7:22 PM

It happens only with the router at my main house which is a wifi 6 router, it connects to the router fine at my other house which is a wifi 5 router.

That is an important clue.

I think the issue might be in WPA3. WPA3 would be too new for a 2012 device. Try if you have a WPA3+WPA2 compatibility mode available in the router.

Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia

Protocol security - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 7:22 PM in response to superjedishadow

It happens only with the router at my main house which is a wifi 6 router, it connects to the router fine at my other house which is a wifi 5 router.

That is an important clue.

I think the issue might be in WPA3. WPA3 would be too new for a 2012 device. Try if you have a WPA3+WPA2 compatibility mode available in the router.

Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia

Protocol security - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Dec 21, 2021 2:15 PM in response to superjedishadow

Try the following:

The 30-30-30 reset. There are no specific instructions for this model yet, but you can always do the 30-30-30 reset as follows:When router is powered on, press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds. (Use a paper clip or something sharp)While holding the reset button pressed, unplug the power of the router and hold the reset button for 30 secondsWhile still holding the reset button down, turn on the power to the unit again and hold for another 30 seconds. (Source: https://www.router-reset.com/info/Apple/TV-A1378-2rd-generation)

Then try to connect to the network, the same error (-100) will come, but than it will ask for the wifi password.

Another important thing is to change the Wifi Security mode to WPA2 PSK. Now it works for me.

Sep 29, 2021 5:10 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I believe it’s the third gen now.

I also tried the other option and manually entered the SSID and it still instantly goes to this error.

It happens only with the router at my main house which is a wifi 6 router, it connects to the router fine at my other house which is a wifi 5 router. (If it was not compatible with the Wi-Fi 6 I would expect the Apple TV to give a different error)

Jan 14, 2022 7:34 AM in response to muellernorbi2

Thanks for ideas. Have a 2nd generation Apple TV. Put in a Google wifi mesh system yesterday and changed my network name and password. Had to put in the new password for all of my apple devices. No problem except the Apple TV which wouldn't ask me for a new password. After restarting everything several times and spending time doing the same things with apple support I was about ready to give. Remembered that the google wifi setting was WPA3. Turned off WPA3 and restarted everything and still no luck. When I went to "Other" and input my network name it asked me for a password. Success! Yesterday I also wasted 5 hours trying to set up Google wifi mesh with Google Home on my iphone with no success (and fail by Google help desk who said I should return the hardware). Found a similar help post that said that the setup only worked with Google Home on Android devices. Found my wife's old Android phone, charged it up and set it up the mesh easily with Google Home. Patience is definite a virtue with this stuff, at least for me. Thanks for the ideas!

Unable to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.