Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Spreadsheet Functions/Formulas

I am looking for some help with a budget and check register file I have created. I would like to have a "Summary Dashboard" that keeps an updated total of each account running balance, such as checking, savings, CD's, etc. I have been using "Offset" in Google Sheets, but cannot seem to get it to work in numbers. I am running Big Sur 11.6 and Numbers 11.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 9:32 PM

Hi Flynn

Here's an alternate to the OFFSET formula using INDEX. You may want to try it to check on calculation time needed to produce a new total when you make an entry. I suspect the difference will be small, but it may be enough to merit consideration of a change.

Table 1 represents your merc account table. The values in column J are for demo purposes only. Each is the Sum of the row numbers (minus 1) above it. The two darker cells in2 of Table 2, and has the same goal as the one in B2 of your Account Balances table.

The range notations (Table 1::J and Table 1::I ) are 'full column' references and, when used with COUNT or INDEX, includes ALL cells in the specified column. Since COUNT counts only cells containing numbers or quasi numeric values (such as durations and Date&Time values), the +1 is needed to add the header row—empty in the example, and containing the text value "balance" in your merc table)—which will not be counted by COUNT.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 9:32 PM in response to FlynnMan

Hi Flynn

Here's an alternate to the OFFSET formula using INDEX. You may want to try it to check on calculation time needed to produce a new total when you make an entry. I suspect the difference will be small, but it may be enough to merit consideration of a change.

Table 1 represents your merc account table. The values in column J are for demo purposes only. Each is the Sum of the row numbers (minus 1) above it. The two darker cells in2 of Table 2, and has the same goal as the one in B2 of your Account Balances table.

The range notations (Table 1::J and Table 1::I ) are 'full column' references and, when used with COUNT or INDEX, includes ALL cells in the specified column. Since COUNT counts only cells containing numbers or quasi numeric values (such as durations and Date&Time values), the +1 is needed to add the header row—empty in the example, and containing the text value "balance" in your merc table)—which will not be counted by COUNT.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 29, 2021 2:32 PM in response to FlynnMan

Hi Flynn Man,

Take a look at the use of SUMIF formulas in the Personal Budget template.

For your document, each account would be used in the same manner as the "categories" in the Summary by Categories table of this document.

Further questions? A screen shot of your Transactions and Summary tables would be useful. (A copy of the table, with entry values and account names edited t remove personal information would work, provided it contained sample data inplace of the 'real' data.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers Spreadsheet Functions/Formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.