Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloads install but don't work

I have downloaded the OS High Sierra, from a link on Apple Support several times - to update an early 2011 MacBook Pro from Yosemite. The software downloads and appears to install (but faster than any OS I remember). I get a message about "Software has installed succeessfully" or something similar. After restart OS version appears not to have changed. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 12:41 PM

hbridge55 wrote:

I have downloaded the OS High Sierra, from a link on Apple Support several times - to update an early 2011 MacBook Pro from Yosemite. The software downloads and appears to install (but faster than any OS I remember). I get a message about "Software has installed succeessfully" or something similar. After restart OS version appears not to have changed. Any ideas?

Do you do not see it in >About this Mac

If not then try the install from a SafeBoot— https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

your High Sierra installer

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 12:41 PM in response to hbridge55

hbridge55 wrote:

Do you do not see it in >About this Mac

If not then try the install from a SafeBoot— https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

your High Sierra installer

Oct 1, 2021 12:54 PM in response to hbridge55

Think I'll take the machine to the "genius bar" where they have software accessible on disk without a lot of Apple lawyers and marketers between the user and the software. I'm sure at a certain point they'll refuse to update old machines and software too. Apple stores are ruled by the same marketing department. Let's hope it hasn't happened yet.

Downloads install but don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.