Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 13 pro max screen dimming

My new iPhone 13 Pro Max is dimming quite a bit as well as getting warm and there are no applications running. I have 1TB and have 490GB used. I wonder is it indexing behind the scenes after an IOS update. I just installed IOS 15.0.1. As I am typing this. no apps running, screen is 50% and auto brightness is off and back of the phone is hot to the touch. I have done all the recommended fixes but to no avail. I have restarted and it will go almost immediately into dim mode.

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 11:03 AM

OK People this is how I fixed my black background iPhone 13 Pro Max;

1. Go to Gear Box
  2. Accessibility

Go To Display & Tex Size… turn everything off except for Auto Brightness. Keep Auto Brightness on.

Good Luck, This worked for me.

Similar questions

71 replies

Nov 22, 2021 5:14 AM in response to Mac Carlos

Even I have the same issue, from day 1.

Display gets dimmer very often and there is no option to bring it back. The brightness bar will be full, but the actual display level will be less than 40%. I switched off all the auto-brightness controls which are suggested by apple and even did a complete re-set of the phone, still no change.

This happens very often and even when the phone is not even warm and when the battery level is more than 90%. It becomes very irritating especially when using the phone in an outside environment, when watching a movie or playing some games.

Please help in fixing this.

When I contacted apple I was told that this issue was one of a kind, but after going through this thread, I'm seeing that there are others also impacted. Hope Apple will take it up quickly and help with a resolution.

Dec 27, 2021 11:28 PM in response to raabz80

Tried this. Not helping much. Now a days the heating problem has gone up, especially while playing games. Within less than 5 mins, the display falls to below 30% of brightness and its killing the fun of everything.

Apple is not yet ready to accept it and has been telling me that this is a device specific issue. I've anyways shared this thread with the Apple team stating that its not device specific and many other users are also facing this.

Jul 21, 2022 12:10 AM in response to Raphamv

So to sum up everything in these comments, the iPhone pro max 12 and 13 both have batteries that can explode when overheated. Apple underestimated just how hot their devices could get, or some hardware component inside is causing more heat than it should and it’s probably the battery itself.

That said, they are trying to keep this issue as low key as possible to avoid a massive recall. I guess it’s nice they don’t allow the batteries to get too hot and injure people, but it sucks that for one, they’re pretending like the problem doesn’t exist, and for two, we are essentially paying for defective products.

That’s where we are at and from the looks of things, you’re on your own to figure out how to keep your iPhone working with the least amount of processes in order to keep the temp down.

I have 3 phones I use daily all day - 12 pro max, 11 pro max, and an xs max. I cannot tell the difference between any of them except for the fact that the 12 pro max sometimes dims and gets hot. You read that right - there’s no difference in speed, surfing, camera, resolution, how long they last on battery - it’s all the same. Oh except for the 12 pro max does get much brighter and does have better speakers, but that’s it.

I recommend going with the older models until they get this straightened out. Maybe 14 will be good?

Oct 21, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Mac Carlos

I am seeing same behavior on my 13 Pro Max. I have lightly used it in my 70 degree house and it quickly dims to about half brightness. I have auto brightness off. Back of phone I'd say was warm but not "hot". I wonder if the temp sensors are dimming prematurely. this is a brighter phone in NITS then the other displays so wonder if it is generating heat too quickly.

I do have mine in a case so heat dissipation is slower but my 11 Pro Max in same Speck style case never had the issue.

Add this to the list of problems I'm seeing including Airdrop not working with wife's 13 max. I already regret upgrading. Should have kept my 11 Pro Max was working fine.

Nov 28, 2021 6:15 AM in response to raabz80

raabz80 wrote:

did u guys try this? Turn the attention aware features off. It seems to be working for me. Let me know if it works for u guys as well!
Good luck to all of us😳

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c9eccdec-304a-4d81-acfe-7eace116a479

I just changed the setting now. I won't know if it works probably until summer when the phone cooks up some heat again or if I travel to a warm area.

iphone 13 pro max screen dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.