Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No “Text Message Forwarding” Option in iPhone Settings

Hi :-)

I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.

I have spent copious time looking online for a solution to my problem, but no solutions worked so I am posting here.

Prior to upgrading iPhone and iOS versions, my iPhone XS forwarded texts (iMessage and SMS) to my MacBook Pro (Catalina) without issue; I could send and revive SMS’ and iMessages from my Mac seamlessly.

Now I cannot see the option to forward texts in ‘Messages’ settings on iPhone 13.

I have tried it all:

turning off iMessage and reactivating,

selecting only my Apple ID email address for iMessage use on both Mac Messages and iPhone Messages,

using only my phone number for iMessages on both (no Apple ID email address selected),

selecting both email and phone number for use with iMessages on both devices,

disconnecting wifi and reconnecting,

Airplane mode on and Airplane mode off,

signing out of iCloud on both devices (scary! Almost lost all contacts and calendar data) and signing back in again,

and restarting both devices countless times after adjusting settings and options.

Yes, both devices are on the same wifi network.

I am actually wondering if this is an Apple glitch, but then why has no one else posted about this recently, also stating that the common fixes don’t work?!

Can anyone offer advice? Or is anyone else out there having the same issue?

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 12:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 12:24 AM

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 2, 2021 12:24 AM in response to Monique :)

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

Oct 2, 2021 12:23 AM in response to Monique :)

1. Use the same Apple ID on both the devices.
  2. Follow the process here --> How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to ...
  3. Turn your phone number on or off for your Mac
    1. After you set up your phone number, you can turn it on or off for Messages and FaceTime on your Mac.
    2. Open Messages or FaceTime. If asked, sign in with the Apple ID that you're using with Messages and FaceTime on your iPhone.
    3. For Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts and select your iMessage account. For FaceTime, choose FaceTime > Preferences, then click Settings.
  4. Turn your phone number on or off:
      1. To turn on your phone number, select it and your Apple ID in the list. If you don't see your phone number, get help with your settings or contact Apple Support. If you see a number that isn't yours, change your Apple ID password.
  5. To turn off your phone number, deselect it in the list.
  6. If you want recipients to see your phone number and not your Apple ID, select your phone number from the “Start new conversations from” or ”Start new calls from” pop-up menu.

Learn how to make messages that you send and receive on your iPhone appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.

Oct 2, 2021 1:04 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for this reply; however, it seems copied and pasted - it’s as if you didn’t read what I wrote. I have tried all of this.

I have already come across and have read the “How to forward SMS/MMS text messages […]” Apple support article you linked to about thirty times in the last week. As I stated, I have tried these suggestions.

No “Text Message Forwarding” Option in iPhone Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.