Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install iPadOS 15.0.1 on iPad pro 10.5 (256 gb)

Hi,

I am unable to install iPadOS 15.0.1 on iPad pro 10.5

When 15.0.01 has been downloaded and the preparing has been finalized, I then click “Install” and then “Install now”. Then the “little whell” starts to turn and then nothing happens except that the wheel keeps turning.

After two hours I pressed the On buttun and the home button at the same time in order to regain access to the iPad.

I have tried to reset my iPad completly (Install as new iPad) and tried installing iPadOS 15.0.1 again but I get the same problem again.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to solve this?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 2:15 AM

Assuming you're trying to update your device wirelessly (via wifi), see this suppport article:--> If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If the issue persists, try to update it via computer:

Learn how to update your device manually if you're using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, or if you're using a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier or a Windows PC.

If you still get no help, contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 2:15 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

Assuming you're trying to update your device wirelessly (via wifi), see this suppport article:--> If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If the issue persists, try to update it via computer:

Learn how to update your device manually if you're using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, or if you're using a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier or a Windows PC.

If you still get no help, contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support

Regards

Giulio

Oct 2, 2021 6:00 AM in response to iKlingel

Solution found and problem solved !!!

I talked to Apple support for 50 minutes.

Solution:

While the iPad is connected to iTunes, put the iPad into Recovery Mode.

iPad with Home button: Hold down the On button and the Home button at the same time. Note that you have to do this for a very, very Long time. You must keep doing this even thou the Apple icon appears.

iPad without Home button: Hold down the On button and the volume up button at the same time.

You know when you are done holding when iTunes displays a message. Something like: this iPad may have a problem.

You then have two options “Recovery” and “Upgrade”.

WARNING: It said that IF you choose Upgrade and it does not work, it will automatically go to Recovery.

I chose Upgrade and it took appr. 20 minutes and now everything is ok. I now have iPadOS 15.0.1

Once again, thank you everyone who helped me.

Oct 4, 2021 5:24 AM in response to kakugogiya

THE SOLUTION

Use the Apple Configurator 2 !

Connecting to the ipad on my macbook pro by finder and try to update also did not work either and resulted in a 4000 error. I do not believe as stated above that this is a bad usb cable or connection. Many others are reporting this error aswell on the internet. As if we all have a bad usb cable or connection on the macbook or imac.

It just does not finish and produces a 4000 error .

But updating by the apple configurator 2 Worked perfectly! It took a while and it had to restore the backup

after the update, but all went automatically and it updated !

Oct 2, 2021 2:37 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

If you are unable to install the update directly from iPad settings, you may have greater success if you perform the update using a PC or Mac computer. To do so, you will require either a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

Oct 2, 2021 4:16 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

Error #4000 is not explicitly listed by Apple. When your iPad is connected to a computer, these errors are often attributed to a USB issue, a faulty cable - or possible interference from Anti Virus software.

Try using a different cable, a different USB port - or, at your own risk, temporarily disabling your AV software.

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013 or 4014 when you restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Oct 2, 2021 4:52 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

Seeking assistance directly from Apple Support may be your best remaining option - using the Get Support link at top-right of this page.

If you have another device, you can also initiate and manage support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your device, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

A further alternative is to find help at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 5, 2021 2:00 AM in response to abe888

Hi Abe,

Please try and install the apple configurator 2 app on your macbook and try to update by that app your ipad. It finally did for me. Any other method by finder or itunes failed and produced the 4000 error whereas with the same cable and usb port the apple configurator updated the ipad. :-)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

Oct 3, 2021 12:11 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

If I can add my 2cents here, keeping in mind that this workaround can affect keychain and/or Apple Pay (if in use, you might need to re-input data), try these steps to solve error 4000 on your iTunes:

• Disconnect your device from the computer
  • Temporarily disable the passcode on your iPad
  • Restart the iPad
  • Restart iTunes
  • Reconnect the iPad to your computer and restart the update procedure.

When finished, re-enable your passcode on your iPad.

Regards

Giulio

Oct 12, 2021 7:59 PM in response to fast_kurs_dk

Alright ladies. I have the iPad Pro 9.7-inch, MLQ62LL/A. I use only Wifi, but it is a cellular-capable model. I was getting an infinite "verifying update" message when attempting to update to iPad OS 15.0.1 and 15.0.2.

I saw this general idea on another forum this evening so I cannot take credit for it.

Do the following:

1. General --> iPad Storage --> delete any previously downloaded iPad OS 15.0.1 and/or 15.0.2 update. Restart iPad.
  2. Remove SIM card holder.
  3. Re-download and install iPad OS update.
  4. If step three gets hung up, replace SIM card holder.

It sounds witch doctory, but it worked for me. No need for Configurator, resets, or some of the other nonsense up in here.

Oct 20, 2021 5:51 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

If your iPad pro has a SIM card, this appears to cause the update process to hang. Try this:

1. Restart iPad
  2. Remove previous update via settings->general->iPad storage (find in list, touch and then touch delete
  3. Install the update as you did previously. It will seem to not finish, but give it a while (hour or more?)
  4. Remove the SIM card. When I did this, the iPad rebooted and the update completed

Oct 2, 2021 2:18 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

I have had the same on my iPad Pro (9.7 inch). Seems to be a bit of a bug. Spoke to Apple Support. They said to update via computer, or need to log and have a senior advisor take a look.

I am just connecting to my Mac now to update - but given a few threads on here, looks to be a bug and affecting Pro's. Assuming it might be fixed in a few days and re-pushed out.

Oct 2, 2021 4:03 AM in response to LotusPilot

This is not my lucky day.

I used iTunes on my Windows 10 pc.

I followed the instructions on iTunes.

The end resultat was this status message in iTunes (my translation to English).

iPad “iPad Pro (10.5-inch)” could not be updated. An unknown error occured (4000)

So I just hope that Apple will fix this issue somehov.

Thanks to all of you who provided tips, links and guidelines.

Oct 2, 2021 5:10 AM in response to fast_kurs_dk

you are not alone. a couple of people reporting this problem. if you have that problem, wifi update is not possible.

I got myself 3 iPads with the problem.

not one iPad was able to update iPadOS, I tried macOS Catalina and BigSur and Windows 10.

at the moment I don't want to reset the iPad's. maybe that would help but can't test it out at the moment.

sadly looks like we have to wait for apple.

Unable to install iPadOS 15.0.1 on iPad pro 10.5 (256 gb)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.