Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prinitng a booklet in Pages

Can anyone point me to somewhere i can find instructions for printing a booklet from pages.

I have tried creating the document in both A5 and A4, and setting the layout to "Booklet". I have tried a number of "layout directions" and "pages per sheet," but cannot get a proper booklet with pages in the appropriate order for folding. Also, the pages are always shrunk slightly, as if an additional boarder was added.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

karl

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 12:49 PM

No worries! I'm sorry I wasn't able to help more with your problem, but I'm glad you got the page ordering sorted out. Not sure what to suggest about the shrinkage. It might be worth fiddling with the Scale to fit paper size setting in the Paper Handling section of the Print dialog:

EDIT: also try switching between A4 and A4 borderless and see if that has any effect.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 12:49 PM in response to karlfromdurham city

No worries! I'm sorry I wasn't able to help more with your problem, but I'm glad you got the page ordering sorted out. Not sure what to suggest about the shrinkage. It might be worth fiddling with the Scale to fit paper size setting in the Paper Handling section of the Print dialog:

EDIT: also try switching between A4 and A4 borderless and see if that has any effect.

Oct 3, 2021 11:32 AM in response to karlfromdurham city

Pages is a consumer-level word-processing/page layout program, and doesn't offer high-end options like print imposition and folding. Even with a more professionally-oriented program like InDesign, imposition is handled (at a cost) by third-party plugins and is not part of the base software.

The layout directions in pages are part of the standard macOS print dialog. They don't take account of the number of pages in the document, and they certainly don't rotate half the pages 180º and re-order them as would be required for true imposition.

With a certain amount of ingenuity you might be able to output your pages as single pdfs, then create a new document with the required number of pages, and then place and rotate the individual pdfs in that document. But it would take quite a lot of working out, and Pages wouldn't do that for you.

As for the slight shrinking, I suspect that this is to allow for an empty trim area between the pages. I don't think there is any user control over that.

Oct 3, 2021 11:46 AM in response to HD

Thank you for your reply.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't want anything high-end, i don't even know what 'print imposition' is. I just want to print a simple A5 booklet by folding an A4 sheet. I can certainly do this with Affinity Publisher, and used to be able to use free add-in with an earlier version of pages.

Currently I export to PDF and use the "Booklet" app, but i'd rather do it from Pages.

Oct 3, 2021 11:54 AM in response to karlfromdurham city

'Imposition' is the technical term for the process used to achieve precisely what you want to achieve - positioning and often rotating single pages so that they align correctly when printing larger sheets and then folding. If, say, you have a 24-page booklet, then page 1 will face page 24, page 2 will face page 23 etc. It all gets very complicated depending on the size of the larger sheet and the number of pages to be placed on it...

However, if you have a Pages document that you want to output as an A5 booklet, and you know how to create a booklet in Affinity Publisher, why not combine the two?

Print out your A5 sides from Pages as single pdfs, create a blank A5 Affinity Publisher document, add the appropriate number of pages, and place each pdf on its corresponding Affinity page (File - Place in Publisher).

Then output the Affinity Publisher document as a booklet. (I personally think doing the whole thing in the current version of Pages is a bit of a non-starter.)

Oct 3, 2021 12:00 PM in response to karlfromdurham city

Ok, so I have abandoned creating the document as A5, and now have an A4 document, i have selected "booklet" from the layout, and stopped messing with the other settings - i must have confused myself earlier because the pages are now in the correct order - I still have the problem that the page content is being reduced slightly. That is very frustrating as my carefully laid out pages are no longer as I wanted them.

Thanks again for your reply.

Prinitng a booklet in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.