Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme File Sharing

I have this 4th Gen AirPort Extreme that I use as a File Sharing Server. I have enabled it to share over the internet, but the IP is only given to those that I want to have access. Every time I try to use the AirPort Extreme over the Internet, it is really slow on loading data, and some files just disappear. When I move a file from it to the local machine, it takes as long as 4 hours. Does anyone know what is up with That? I also do not like the fact that I can't use SMB on Windows from it.

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:00 AM

The AirPort Extreme was basically not designed to be a file server, even though it can perform as a simple one. Another issue is that the Extreme's processor and USB port are extremely performance limited.

The Extreme can be configured for SMB file sharing, but only for SMB v1 ... which, as you know, is no longer supported by Windows 10/11 ... without a workaround that would compromise security. Which is also an issue with accessing file shares over the Internet, regardless of which file sharing protocol (SMB/AFP) you use.

If you really need to share files over the Internet, you may want to consider getting a dedicated NAS for this purpose.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 8:00 AM in response to lane_apple_fan

The AirPort Extreme was basically not designed to be a file server, even though it can perform as a simple one. Another issue is that the Extreme's processor and USB port are extremely performance limited.

The Extreme can be configured for SMB file sharing, but only for SMB v1 ... which, as you know, is no longer supported by Windows 10/11 ... without a workaround that would compromise security. Which is also an issue with accessing file shares over the Internet, regardless of which file sharing protocol (SMB/AFP) you use.

If you really need to share files over the Internet, you may want to consider getting a dedicated NAS for this purpose.

AirPort Extreme File Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.