Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet sharing over USB not working on iPad (8th Gen)

I rarely use my ipad, probably once a week.

The last time I had issues I asked for help but got none. Eventually I rebooted my mac and it started working - please don't tell me I have to reboot just to get USB internet sharing to work? I cannot even find my old question about this topic anymore, I might have more than one apple account, it's all confusing. But why does USB sharing just not work until I reboot or start over completely? It's confusing enough that my mac has 5 ethernet adapters when in reality there is just one RJ-47, and so settings the OS shows to users which users know nothing about waste me more time than I really have. Is there a simple solution I missed because I don't regularly read the apple literature?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad (8th generation)

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 4:44 AM

I'm not getting USB sharing to work, so I have shared over WIFI. Not great as a secure option. But my old ipad on ios12, newer one on 16.3 and my iphone XR all tether over wifi just fine. They just seem to not like the confusion of multiple USB taps to drink from maybe?

Hope someone can shed some light on why share to wifi works, but the USB gives no joy. Pretty sure it should work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 4:44 AM in response to conradbraam

I'm not getting USB sharing to work, so I have shared over WIFI. Not great as a secure option. But my old ipad on ios12, newer one on 16.3 and my iphone XR all tether over wifi just fine. They just seem to not like the confusion of multiple USB taps to drink from maybe?

Hope someone can shed some light on why share to wifi works, but the USB gives no joy. Pretty sure it should work.

Apr 13, 2023 2:13 AM in response to conradbraam

Rebooted, and connected my iphone as well, neither of them get internet connectivity.

I tick the boxes in the internet sharing screen for ipad and iphone (for some reason each device has 2 boxes in the list of usb ports, that is also really random.) And I even rebooted everything, still no joy.

As per this guide https://www.howtoisolve.com/internet-sharing-is-not-working-on-mac/ I also tried choosing (en4) adapter to share from, but I have 2 of them, does anyone know which one is correct?

It will randomly start working at some point, but would love to get the system a lot more reliable, as I can not trust things when it does this. A few unofficial guides indicate I have to be logged in using the same user account on the device and on my mac? Is that true?

Internet sharing over USB not working on iPad (8th Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.