Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Now that the remote app is in control centre it loses connection to tv every time your phone screen goes to sleep and there is no way to reconnect but to close and reopen control centre to reconnect……. Terrible update please fix

Apple remote app moved to control centre and now loses connection to tv every time phone screen goes to sleep. Choose device does not work only closing control centre then reopen remote gets remote working again. Very annoying please help

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 1:41 AM

The update is a disgrace. Why must Apple

take something that is working well, TV Remote, and make it unworkable? Apple TV in Control Center is an unmitigated fail. It doesn’t work. It’s not as easy to access. It fails constantly. Why are you breaking something that doesn’t need fixing? 😡

25 replies

Oct 4, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Digitaltvman

Hello Digitaltvman,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are having issues with the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone in the Control Center. 

We’d be happy to help you!

Were you able to complete all of the steps in Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for troubleshooting this issue?

You may need to contact Apple Support through the link if the issue persists after that.

Take care.

Dec 14, 2021 7:48 AM in response to alanhotatl

If you want to tell Apple something, you might want to actually tell them where they'll see it. Which isn't here. You were told that when you agreed to the terms of service for these forums. Use one of the Feedback links on the https://www.apple.com/contact/ page.

The control panel remote on all of my devices remembers the last Apple TV I controlled with it, every time, as long as it can find it by its advertised network name. Apple products use Bonjour (multicast DNS) to advertise their name and available services on the network. If anything on your network interferes with multicast UDP packets, it can wreak havoc with Bonjour. I've found that many routers mess up multicast DNS.

Turning off Bluetooth also hinders your device's ability to connect to a nearby Apple TV.

Dec 14, 2021 8:43 AM in response to edclange

edclange wrote:

If you want to tell Apple something, you might want to actually tell them where they'll see it. Which isn't here. You were told that when you agreed to the terms of service for these forums. Use one of the Feedback links on the https://www.apple.com/contact/ page.

Here is the link to the Feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 13, 2021 12:41 PM in response to ketty82

For family members not able to connect problem, you can simply added them as an user in Apple TV settings. It resolved the issue in our home. I have captured the fix in my blog.

(Not sure it is okay to share them here. Moderators can remove them if needed. thanks)

https://raptor.in/2021/12/06/apple-tv-remote-connectivity-issue-it-stopped-working-after-ios-15-1-update-for-family-members/

Jan 20, 2022 8:39 AM in response to RichardAsprey

Apple does not actively monitor these forums.

In order to "fix" it, it would need to be a widespread problem. The control center remote in my devices always immediately reconnects to the last Apple TV I controlled, every single time. It has worked perfectly for me since the first iOS release that moved it to the control center. I suspect that this is the case for the vast majority of users.

A router or switch that messes with multicast LAN packets, specifically Multicast DNS, can break the service discovery protocol that makes it work. A lot of home WiFi routers get multicast wrong.

Feb 16, 2022 6:49 PM in response to Digitaltvman

Apple has dropped the ball on this. They recently botched the Siri functionality within remote. When you first initiate, the microphone icon hovers in the upper right corner, indicating the lock button is now responsible for this function. When the lock button is pressed, the phone locks. Long hold and the remote screen closes, going to system Siri. Why mess with something that worked before? How did this iteration even survive development?

Now that the remote app is in control centre it loses connection to tv every time your phone screen goes to sleep and there is no way to reconnect but to close and reopen control centre to reconnect……. Terrible update please fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.