Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't click on anything in Safari

I have catalina 10.15.7 and safari v15.

almost always i can't click any links in a safari webpage.

I've tried dumping the cache, starting safari with cmd-s, etc etc.

i've disabled all content blockers, etc.

What's wrong?

thx,

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 10:32 PM

10 replies

Oct 6, 2021 5:37 AM in response to Ed Miller

Hi

I have narrowed this issue down somewhat, apologies it has taken a while but I had to reverse engineer the issue on my Mac and I am now unable to click links in safari.

I tried to look at the issue from outside the box, what if I wanted to prevent links from being active or clicked?

That then got me on track with website style sheets. Safari has the ability to load it's own style sheet.

This caused me a lot of problems with websites back in the early days so I now choose not to use one.

The idea linked me to this post below... (please read it as we can use the style sheet to try and fix your problem)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250283073

So the FIRST thing to try is from Safari preference goto advanced and if you have a style sheet active set it to 'None Selected'.

SECOND If that doesn't fix it then we can move on to using a style sheet as suggested in the link above, it might reverse engineer your issue?

Using a text editor copy the coding below and save the file as style.css this can be upload to safari from the advanced page by selecting other from the style sheet option

a {
  cursor: pointer !important;
}

The next thing to look at if the style sheet doesn't fix the issue, is from the same menu do you have 'Show Developer menu' active?

Oct 4, 2021 5:13 PM in response to Ed Miller

Hi Ed Miller,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

We understand you're having trouble using links within Safari on your Mac.

Can you let us know what model Mac you have? This will let us know if your Mac can run a later version of MacOS than Catalina. Staying on older software can impact web performance. The link below will assist with identifying your Mac model.

Identify your MacBook model

The latest version of MacOS is MacOS Big Sur. If eligible, we would reccomend completing this upgrade to obtain the most current version of Safari.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur

If not eligible for Big Sur, the links within the article above should help to identify what version is the maximum that can be ran on your Mac. Additional troubleshooting for Safari can also be found at the link below.

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

Let us know if any of this is found to be helpful, or if we can clarify or assist further.

Take care for now.

Oct 5, 2021 10:49 AM in response to Ed Miller

There have recently been many reports of a broad range of new problems on this support site about the latest release of Safari v15. It is included in the downloads for Big Sur and Catalina. If you are experiencing these problems, you can use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome and they will work for you until a newer version of Safari is released.

I have read here that Apple's support people have a link to reinstall Safari and that doing so often fixes the problem. You might check with them.

can't click on anything in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.