Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add MP3 files to itunes library

I have an Asus laptop running Windows 10 Version 21H1updated to the latest level. I just updated iTunes to the latest level Version 12.12.1.1

Since the iTunes update I have been unable to add MP3 files to the iTunes library either by using File > Add file to library, or by pasting the files into the Automatically add to iTunes folder.

The files play OK on Windows Media Player, Groove Music, VLC etc, but iTunes will not open them.

If I convert the MP3 files to M4A, I can import them into iTunes as normal.

iTunes still plays the MP3 files already in my library.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 3 times with no change to this issue.

Seems like iTunes has stopped support for new MP3 files. Anyone got any other ideas, or a fix for the problem?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 12:01 PM

The issue is not with CD's, it is with individual MP3 files on my PC. As I said in my first message, I cannot add MP3 files to iTunes library. The process starts but does not finish so the songs are not added to the library.

If I convert the MP3 files to M4A, it works as normal

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 6, 2021 11:53 AM in response to pauldore

Hello there, pauldore!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue adding music to iTunes on your PC. Are these songs you are trying to import to your computer from CDs? This article provides you with steps on how to import songs from a CD into iTunes, but it also includes sections to help troubleshoot issues with importing. Take a look over this article, and complete the troubleshooting steps within: Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC.

If you've completed the steps in the above article, but the issue remains, please try inserting a different CD to attempt to import it into iTunes. This can help us identify if the issue is with the CD or all CD's in iTunes.

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Cannot add MP3 files to itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.