Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warranty void because of a Rusty screw

I have been a fan of apple and recently, I experience the worst that can happen to a user trying to seek help from Apple support.

I got my iPhone 12 Pro last December and recently bought a 13 Pro and decided to pass that 11Pro to someone. It’s working perfectly except that 1 screw was Rusty and it’s still under warranty. So, I decided to seek help from Apple, just change my screw and I do it want it repair!

to my shock, all I greeted was so many reject and with such a high respected company, they will not want to help me replace a screw. I was asked to pay $800 to replace my phone and after I repeatedly tell them I do not want to change phone, just change 1 screw!!!!

I suspect because I’m using MOUS cover which I paid highly as well to protect everywhere, who know that the screw gets Rusty?

do we as user need to cover the phone till nothing unforeseen using it can happen ? This is way out of acceptable level.

I ask them to reply me E-mail so I can claim my case and again they just cut off my case immediately.

I share this so someone can advise me so that they are at least learn how to really help a user in unforeseen cases

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 4:45 AM

I am the victim for the same issue and I believe myself use it normally and device is still under 1 year warrenty.

Actaully I really hardly to accept the result the repair center told me that the reason is caused by the human error because I am not first time to use the iPhone, I use the same way like I used before in the iPhone 7 Plus and any old version iPhone I ever had.

I really don't know how come I also use the phone in the same way like previous iphones I had but first time encounter the rusty screw issue in iPhone 12 Pro.

And some people also encounter the same issue and post on (Rusting Issue on Iphone 12 pro

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252969660

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 4:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I am the victim for the same issue and I believe myself use it normally and device is still under 1 year warrenty.

Actaully I really hardly to accept the result the repair center told me that the reason is caused by the human error because I am not first time to use the iPhone, I use the same way like I used before in the iPhone 7 Plus and any old version iPhone I ever had.

I really don't know how come I also use the phone in the same way like previous iphones I had but first time encounter the rusty screw issue in iPhone 12 Pro.

And some people also encounter the same issue and post on (Rusting Issue on Iphone 12 pro

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252969660

Nov 4, 2021 5:13 AM in response to Communitymem

My Phone was protected by me carefully even more care than the previous iPhones I had, I am not the first time to use iPhone, but it really surprised to me to get this result on iPhone 12 Pro.

This is the photo was taken by the iPhone Authorized Repair Center, and the look of the phone like the new one, if that's the human error how I can technically just rust one of screw and the other one is normally?

Nov 3, 2021 1:37 AM in response to Communitymem

I also encountered an identical issue (Rusted Screw) and it's really surprising to me for the quality of the iPhone 12 Pro, the device is still under the 1-year warranty (bought it around early 2021), this's an experience I never had as I had used many iPhone devices before, I went to the Apple Certified Repair Center and call Apple Support Center (Miss Huang with Service ID: 20000071817565) and got the same feedback about paying the repair fee with $US 650, I also feel very frustrated and why I need to suffer the wrongly accused by the Call Center about I do it by human error.

Nov 3, 2021 7:01 AM in response to AKRBTN

Could I know if you are using the iPhone 12 Pro or iPad because I saw the product you choose is iPad?

This is the first ime I experience this issue in Apple product, the screw is just rusty when I am using it in normal way.

There are two screws in the both sides of the charging port, one is normal and the other one is rusty.

Nov 3, 2021 5:04 PM in response to JoeyLin

Personally, it’s how they just cut me off without offering a solution to change that screw sadden me.

how can a company not know how to change a screw. That’s apply to all their official retail service center.

they just don’t want to help me change a screw, I know my phone can last another 4-5 years but it’s just ridiculous they refuse to change a rusty screw.

Nov 3, 2021 5:53 PM in response to Communitymem

Communitymem wrote:

So you think S$800 to replace a rusty screw is acceptable? You think like a machine in my opinion if that’s acceptable

No, a service charge to replace a phone with water damage is Apple’s policy for a phone that can’t be repaired. Screws only get rusty if they get wet for an extended period of time, so your phone was wet for a while. That’s the reason, not the rusty screw. The rusty screw is a symptom of a much more serious problem with the phone.

Nov 3, 2021 5:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Like I said, all I wanted was to change a screw and you are replying exactly like Apple refusing to look at consumer point of view asking to change a screw even if I agree to void the warranty. You are dragging other concern etc in just like apple.

warranty expire anyway soon !

you did not get my point, why with such a big company, all I ask is to change a screw and you reply S$800 is the only way?

did you even understand consumer agony?

Nov 3, 2021 6:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Oh my god, the phone is ip68 rating, yes it was wet when I went hiking and water did stays on the mous cover (raining) and because of the design, it seal the screw area and even when the phone remain dry, the screw was in contact with the droplets of water

that’s how the screw get rusty over time which no many will suspect since it’s rather well build.

like I say, the phone has perfect integrity from water damage. It’s all because I do cycling/hiking and sometimes during raining days, I did clean but left that small details out about a cover trap a drop of water on screw area.

that’s why over time, the screw gets rusty not because of water damage but due to usage.

who in this world will keep looking at that small screw.

like I say, my phone is in perfect condition except the screw.

i know I can go 3rd party to resolve this but I just don’t understand why I can’t get help from apple and they just cut me off refusing to help unless $800 to change a phone

Nov 3, 2021 6:17 PM in response to Communitymem

No, it doe NOT have “perfect integrity from water damage”, read what Apple says about it:

iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 mini are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions; iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 mini have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes); iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes); iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone 11 have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes); and iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, and iPhone SE (2nd generation) have a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Nov 4, 2021 11:38 PM in response to Communitymem

It seems like judge the thing by the result whatever end user carefully to protect this iP68 iphone the Apple commercial highlight.

when the result is rusty screw means human error without any question.

That’s really all our fault because we should not questioning it.

Although it should be not the iPhone I used to know about the people (I was part of them) have the Royalty to their quality, but we may need to start transit the Royalty to their business model for success on the sale volume.

Excellent !

Warranty void because of a Rusty screw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.