Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music "Resource Unavailable" after update

I updated to iOS15 and currently my phone says up to date with 15.0.1 and ever since then when I am driving, and go to listen to apple music in the car, it won't play a number of songs. I get a error message "resource unavailable" Originally I thought it was a network thing with my mobile provider but I get this error with full bars and or connected to wifi. I have logged out of my apple id account and logged back in, deleted the app and reinstalled and re-synced all my music... I have worked with 2 apple support chat agents and no troubleshoot resolution. The last big update to 14, apple car play was severely messed up. I couldn't use it for a week.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 3:38 PM

Same thing has been happening to me and has just progressively gotten worse. Before the iOS update apple music played just fine with the settings I had before. Which were Hi-Res everything, and Dolby atmos automatic. I have the 12 pro max and it played all the time with no problem other than the few occasional things that could attributed to signal strength and other things. Ever since I updated my phone everything has worked intermittently or just stopped all together. The only thing that will play is downloaded music in my library. Streaming using my subscription I always get the “resource unavailable” message be it on wifi or cellular. At first it would do it here and there i figured it was signal issues but then as time went on it has gotten worse. It’s gotten to the point where no matter the any number of fixes I tried my music would not work. i thought it could be the devices I’ve connected too but I ruled that out. Everything I have tried has led me to believe that this is iOS issue. I will post everything I have done so far as to troubleshoot.

restarted the app

reinstalled the app

re-signed in

restarted the phone

disconnected devices (reconnected)

connected or disconnected to wifi

lowered setting levels

better cell service

12 pro max, unlimited everything.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 3:38 PM in response to lindsayfromcampbell

Same thing has been happening to me and has just progressively gotten worse. Before the iOS update apple music played just fine with the settings I had before. Which were Hi-Res everything, and Dolby atmos automatic. I have the 12 pro max and it played all the time with no problem other than the few occasional things that could attributed to signal strength and other things. Ever since I updated my phone everything has worked intermittently or just stopped all together. The only thing that will play is downloaded music in my library. Streaming using my subscription I always get the “resource unavailable” message be it on wifi or cellular. At first it would do it here and there i figured it was signal issues but then as time went on it has gotten worse. It’s gotten to the point where no matter the any number of fixes I tried my music would not work. i thought it could be the devices I’ve connected too but I ruled that out. Everything I have tried has led me to believe that this is iOS issue. I will post everything I have done so far as to troubleshoot.

restarted the app

reinstalled the app

re-signed in

restarted the phone

disconnected devices (reconnected)

connected or disconnected to wifi

lowered setting levels

better cell service

12 pro max, unlimited everything.

Jan 6, 2022 7:33 PM in response to nigelpap1234

So just to throw some recent feedback to the devs working this issue out, it happens whether I’m connected to Bluetooth or not randomly it will give me the resource unavailable message. It happens less on my 12 pro max, but this also happens on my one plus n200 5g as well as my lg g7 thinq and it happens with different carriers, so far Verizon postpaid and t-mobile

Oct 7, 2021 9:15 AM in response to lindsayfromcampbell

Salutations lindsayfromcampbell, 

We understand that, only when connected to your vehicle, you’re receiving a message stating ‘resource unavailable’.  

We have some questions to start isolating the issue and help gather a few more details. Are you an Apple Music subscriber? If the music is being streamed, does downloading it change anything? Are you connected to your vehicle via Bluetooth or USB? 

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2021 3:15 PM in response to lindsayfromcampbell

lindsayfromcampbell, 

Does that mean if you turn off Lossless that everything plays as expected? If the music is being streamed, does downloading it change anything? You’d do that in Settings > Music > Audio Quality > Lossless Audio

Since it’s not isolated to a vehicle, can you please tell us if you use any sort of speaker, headphones, etc at work? We know you would in your vehicle, and we want to make sure to isolate external accessories out of the equation. 

Thank you.

Oct 9, 2021 2:40 PM in response to lindsayfromcampbell

I am consistently having this problem as well. I got a 13 pro and it worked on my CarPlay before I transferred my old phones contents to the new one. Then this morning I tried using it with CarPlay and just USB through the head unit in general and it doesn't work at all.

My XS Max had no problems with this OS - only my new phone. My problem differs in that it only doesn't work through USB but will play via bluetooth on my headphones and just through the phone speakers.

Would really like to see this get fixed and not have to reset my phone in the process....

Oct 9, 2021 10:49 PM in response to AnnieL2

Hi! I just had this start happening as of about an hour ago, and now I can’t play anything on Apple Music outside of what’s in my own library. I keep getting ‘resource unavailable’. I have tested this with lossless audio on and off, dolby on and off, deleted apple music, synced all music, and have restarted my device.

However, as I was typing that paragraph, I went to Apple Music to check one more time, and when scrolling, I accidentally requested a song play next. Then, I received about 10 pop-ups asking if I wanted to clear the current playlist. I’m not sure how to repeat the steps to get where I got before, but I believe the player is trying to catch up with itself or something?

And even as I was typing that, the next song said ‘resource unavailable’. I had to go back and press ‘next song’, ‘play last’ and other songs until about 20 pop-ups asked if I wanted to clear the playlist.

And even after I typed that paragraph, it happened a third time. It doesn’t make sense.

Nov 2, 2021 3:47 PM in response to AnnieL2

I am having this exact problem have ever since IOS 15. It has not gone away with any update and even seems worse. I'm also occasionally getting a warning that the server certificate is masquerading as Apple Music and that I should quit the app.

I'm a paying subscriber and have been for years. Apple, you have a problem here.

Apple Music "Resource Unavailable" after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.