Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AirDrop actually work?

I'm trying to AirDrop files from my Mac to my wife's iPhone. I select Share>AirDrop. I see my wife's phone. I select it. It says Waiting. What is the receiver supposed to do? Absolutely nothing appears on the phone. No notification. There is no AirDrop window equivalent to the Mac. I'm having to resort to using an iCloud Shared folder, which of course means uploading files on a slow network because a straight WiFi AirDrop just doesn't work. It's incredibly unreliable.

Try doing a search for "using AirDrop with iOS" in Apple support. You get no useful result. Just ridiculous.

Is AirDrop really supposed to the work from a Mac to an iPhone when we're on the same WiFi network? It certainly doesn't just work.

Thanks very much for any insight.

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:56 AM

Tom Wolsky wrote:

I'm trying to AirDrop files from my Mac to my wife's iPhone. I select Share>AirDrop. I see my wife's phone. I select it. It says Waiting. What is the receiver supposed to do? Absolutely nothing appears on the phone. No notification. There is no AirDrop window equivalent to the Mac. I'm having to resort to using an iCloud Shared folder, which of course means uploading files on a slow network because a straight WiFi AirDrop just doesn't work. It's incredibly unreliable.

Try doing a search for "using AirDrop with iOS" in Apple support. You get no useful result. Just ridiculous.

Is AirDrop really supposed to the work from a Mac to an iPhone when we're on the same WiFi network? It certainly doesn't just work.

First let me say Airdrop has always been a bit finicky. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

Requires both WiFi and BlueTooth being on—

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

See if there is anything here— https://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-airdrop-iphone-ipad

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 7:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

First let me say Airdrop has always been a bit finicky. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

Requires both WiFi and BlueTooth being on—

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

See if there is anything here— https://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-airdrop-iphone-ipad

Does AirDrop actually work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.