Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD camera card Mac mini

I just replaced an old iMac with an M1 Mac mini. I have several cameras that use sd cards. All the cards can be read just fine with the old iMac and work just fine in the cameras but either fail to mount or are listed as unreadable in the finder. Attempts to format the cards with Disk Utility fail. I tried another sd card app called SD Card Formatter and it fails as well. I have tried using the built in card reader in my Satechi Mini dock reader (I get nothing) and an old Kingston usb 1 card reader (plugged into the Satechi usb dock) which at least brings up a dialog box saying the card is unreadable and do I want to format it with Disk Utility. No joy again.

What am I doing wrong?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 9:50 AM

Well I called Satechi, it turns out to be a simple issue made not so simple by the fact that they supply no instructions (why would you need instructions for a usb hub?).

The cards must be inserted upside down. Hmmmm. Wouldn't have thought of that.

Anyway, the cards read just fine when put in upside down.

Thanks for the help to those who responded.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Carl Jerris

Well I called Satechi, it turns out to be a simple issue made not so simple by the fact that they supply no instructions (why would you need instructions for a usb hub?).

The cards must be inserted upside down. Hmmmm. Wouldn't have thought of that.

Anyway, the cards read just fine when put in upside down.

Thanks for the help to those who responded.

Oct 9, 2021 10:11 AM in response to hcsitas

I have tried 3 different cards all with the same result. So I tried the cards on my wife's newer Windows laptop. With all the different combos it gets sort of confusing, 3 computers and 2 have internal card readers, one old card reader, and one new usb hub with card reader built in.

To summarize=

• card with internal reader on old iMac= no problems. All my pictures are there

• card on Windows laptop internal card reader= no problems. The card is readable and pictures are there

• Mini has no internal reader so can't say

• card in old card reader plugged into either the Mini's USB port or the hub's port = Mini sees the card but can't do anything with it. The result is no different between the hub or the Mini internal USB port.

• card in old card reader internal USB port or on the hub- Windows knows it is there but can't do anything with it.

So, it would appear that the old card reader does something that makes cards unreadable on newer machines. The Mini can see it but can't do anything with it. The Windows machine knows the card is there (shows up in Safe Eject) but can't read it or even eject it.

• card in Satechi hub's card reader (usb3)= Nothing with Mini and nothing with Windows laptop (well, this one is going back)

The Satechi hub is a real disappointment. It's built in readers don't work on the Mini or the Windows machines. Nothing. At one point plugging the sd card into the hub's reader blacked out my Mini's monitor for about 2 seconds. It did that once but never again. I do see that Satechi has a newer Mini hub that is compatible for M1 Mini's (apparently M1's are different). That hub was not available when I bought my "Mini hub for 2020 Mini's". But, in my mind, it still begs the question for why would a special USB hub be needed for M1's?

SD camera card Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.