MAC Mini cannot view image from z8 memory card

Dear Sirs/Madam,

I am not able to view my z8 picture on my Mac Mini wth CFexpress type B card using RAW lossless compression setting on my camera.

The image can be transferred from card into photo apps. but after transferred cannot view the image. The screen shows white in colour.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best Regards

Albert Lau

Posted on May 27, 2023 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 7:12 AM

We are fellow users and have no way of knowing when or if Nikon has provided Apple with the data that they need to provide Z8 support, or when the Z8 support will be offered in a future version of macOS.

The current version of Adobe Digital Negative Converter (15.3.1) will convert the RAW Z8 images to DNG and these are viewable in the Finder, Quick Look, and Preview. Also, the free (non-commercial) XnViewMP application (1.4.5) can view the raw Z8 images too.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 7:12 AM in response to alberts161

We are fellow users and have no way of knowing when or if Nikon has provided Apple with the data that they need to provide Z8 support, or when the Z8 support will be offered in a future version of macOS.

The current version of Adobe Digital Negative Converter (15.3.1) will convert the RAW Z8 images to DNG and these are viewable in the Finder, Quick Look, and Preview. Also, the free (non-commercial) XnViewMP application (1.4.5) can view the raw Z8 images too.

Aug 2, 2023 5:46 AM in response to alberts161

Apple does not currently support Nikon Z8 NEF files. That may change in the future, but in the meanwhile one solution for Apple Photos / iCloud Photos users is the RAW Power app. RAW Power primarily uses Apple Photos / iCloud Photos as its digital asset manager ("DAM"), meaning that when you use RAW Power you see the same photos you have in Apple Photos / iCloud Photos (including on mac, iPhone and iPad) and can non-destructively edit them through RAW Power, which then syncs the edited versions back to Apple Photos / iCloud Photos. The editing options are far more extensive than Apple Photos and share a bit in common with Apple's long-gone pro-grade photography app, Aperture (which maybe isn't surprising, given the main developer of RAW Power used to lead the Aperture team at Apple).

RAW Power includes 'Extended RAW' support for multiple cameras that are not supported by Apple. The latest of these is Nikon Z8 Lossless Compressed. Note that, as of today, support does not yet cover the Nikon Z8 compressed High Efficiency (HE) and High Efficiency* (HE*) formats.

[Edited by Moderator]

MAC Mini cannot view image from z8 memory card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.