Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse clicks not responding when choosing a file in finder

I just bought a macbook air and now it's all installed etc. I noticed that when i want to select a file, my mouse decides to ignore my clicks and only listen to the arrow keys. As example, I want to convert a pdf to a ppt in adobe, which means you have to select files in the browser and when the finder tab opens up, the mouse stops responding to clicks and only arrow keys work. When i use my finder otherwise though, it works perfectly. I have the latest software update and i tried forced restarting finder but nothing helps here. I have the magic mouse and magic keyboard, if that is relevant...

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 6:20 PM

Sounds like a bluetooth issue. Make sure your battery charge is not running low on the Magic Mouse. Make sure you are fully up-to-date with macOS 11.6 (several Bluetooth fixes were applied since 11.1). Then hold Shift+Option on your keyboard and click on the Control Center icon top-right on the menu bar next to Siri and the Clock. Then click on Bluetooth while still holding Shift+Option. You will see a few options not normally displayed.

Reset the Bluetooth Module

Factory Reset all connected Apple Devices

Perform both operations and see if that seems to fix things. Another thing to consider is USB 3 external hard drives have been known to create electromagnetic interference that can mess with Bluetooth radio signals. See about getting a longer cable and moving the drive further away if you have one attached.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2021 6:20 PM in response to ibebrichau

Sounds like a bluetooth issue. Make sure your battery charge is not running low on the Magic Mouse. Make sure you are fully up-to-date with macOS 11.6 (several Bluetooth fixes were applied since 11.1). Then hold Shift+Option on your keyboard and click on the Control Center icon top-right on the menu bar next to Siri and the Clock. Then click on Bluetooth while still holding Shift+Option. You will see a few options not normally displayed.

Reset the Bluetooth Module

Factory Reset all connected Apple Devices

Perform both operations and see if that seems to fix things. Another thing to consider is USB 3 external hard drives have been known to create electromagnetic interference that can mess with Bluetooth radio signals. See about getting a longer cable and moving the drive further away if you have one attached.

mouse clicks not responding when choosing a file in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.