What does "notifications silenced" mean in Messages?

I’ve been texting with a good friend of mine and all of a sudden at the very bottom of our texting thread it says “🌙 Molly has notifications silenced “. What does this mean? Is she specifically silencing my specific text messages so she doesn’t receive them or the banner doesn’t pop up? She has an iPhone as well and I’ve never seen this message before. My feelings are a bit hurt but I’m not really sure what it means, if someone could explain this to me I would so appreciate it.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 12:52 PM

Just figured my “Notifications have been silenced” issue. When I upgraded the iOS on any of my apple products it allowed sharing on all my devices. If just one of your devices has the focus sharing on then all your devices with the same Apple ID will be silenced with the same DND. You have to check every device that you have with your Apple ID on and make sure every focus is off. This includes your iPhone, iMac, iPad, MacBook, and watch. So stupid! Took me awhile to figure this out and kept finding one of my apple products with it on which blocked my notifications. Hope this helps.

407 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Defender50

Just figured my “Notifications have been silenced” issue. When I upgraded the iOS on any of my apple products it allowed sharing on all my devices. If just one of your devices has the focus sharing on then all your devices with the same Apple ID will be silenced with the same DND. You have to check every device that you have with your Apple ID on and make sure every focus is off. This includes your iPhone, iMac, iPad, MacBook, and watch. So stupid! Took me awhile to figure this out and kept finding one of my apple products with it on which blocked my notifications. Hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2022 8:57 PM in response to vinnetta208

Hi,

• Settings > Messages > Allow Messages to Access > disable Focus.

• Settings > Focus > Share Across Devices should be disabled if you do not want your current or active Focus status to reflect across devices signed into the same Apple ID.

• Settings > Focus > click on the affected Focus > Focus Status > Share Focus Status should be disabled.

• Settings > Privacy > Focus > Messages should be disabled.

Oct 12, 2021 7:48 AM in response to vinnetta208

Hi vinnetta208, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you’re seeing a notifications silenced message when messaging a friend in Messages app and we’re happy to help. 

It looks like your friend uses Focus on their iPhone. When a person sets up Focus on their iPhone, then you might see a message displayed in the Messages app that says [contact name] has notifications silenced. This means that the person you’re messaging has their notifications silenced. Please note that you can still notify your friend if it’s urgent. Learn more about Focus here: Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards. 

Dec 16, 2021 1:43 PM in response to vinnetta208

Hi vinnetta208,

We'd like to offer some additional clarification on this issue and offer some guidance if it is not working as expected.

The settings that cause this notification to appear are discussed in Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

"When you set a Focus, the icon appears in the status bar and on your Lock Screen, and your status is automatically displayed in the Messages app. When people try to send you a message, they'll see that you’ve silenced notifications, but they can still notify you if it's urgent.

When you use Focus on one device, the setting is automatically applied across your Apple devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID."

However, if a user does not have a Focus enabled that should result in this notification being displayed, yet the notification still appears, we recommend that they update to iOS 15.2. Steps for updating can be found here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We hope this helps.

Dec 1, 2021 8:06 PM in response to heverlyn

Have you upgraded to the iOS 15.1.1 recently? If you have you need to check all your devices that use your Apple ID and make sure the dumb "Focus" settings are disabled. More importantly check to make sure the "Share Across Device" is off. If any of your devices have the "Share Across Device" on, all devices with the same Apple ID will have the notifications silenced.

Dec 18, 2021 11:18 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

HANNAH_TAPIA

User level:

Level 1

(12 points)

Dec 15, 2021 12:37 PM in response to vinnetta208

what that means is that on there phone they have it on silent mode , like when you go to sleep they have all the messages on there phone so they dont get distracted

You said it, which is why I said to you silent mode.

FYI, all my focus settings are set to off, Do not disturb, personal, work, driving has been deleted along with sleep. Each individual contact is set to allow notifications. Messaging in settings is set to allow notifications.

Sorry if I exaggerated the number but this isn't the only thread or forum I have read trying to fix the issue. I have even had my phone side by side with another iPhone 13 running 15.2.

His phone shows my "set to silence notifications" message with all our settings 100% set the same. Toggling on/off. Signing in and out of iCloud and rebooting etc. changes nothing. Some said the issue was fixed in other threads only to to return and say it was back.

This is likely a bug with Focus, but not all are having it.

I hear every notification for messages that come in, including those who say they see the message I am set to silence notifications.

Also in the OP it shows Vinneta208 in SMS mode so he would not likely see that message as it isn't in iMessage mode. But I do not know this for fact it doesn't show in SMS mode. (Need to get beside my buddy with his iPhone 13 and check it). It does show up in the screen grab up but Molly iMessaged him. He never commented again.

Apr 19, 2022 8:30 AM in response to vinnetta208

Hello All,

I am having this same problem in Messages ([person] has notifications silenced)and can see a message on my wife's phone that says I have notifications silenced when I do not.

Details:

• Both phones (iPhone 13's) are running iOS 15.4.1.
  • On my wife's phone in messages, at the bottom of our thread it says "...has notifications silenced" (see pic.) most recently confirmed at 11am this morning.
  • Messages received on my phone from my wife produce no sound.
  • On my phone Focus->Do Not Disturb, (a) my wife is on a whitelist, (b) I have a schedule set for 9:30PM-8:00AM, (c) Share Across Devices is disabled. (see pics.)
  • On my MacBook, DND is disabled and Share Across Devices is disabled.

Attached are some pics...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jan 19, 2024 7:18 AM in response to k_p95

Thank you so much, k_p95, this worked for me!

• Settings > Messages > Allow Messages to Access > disable Focus.

• Settings > Focus > Share Across Devices should be disabled if you do not want your current or active Focus status to reflect across devices signed into the same Apple ID.

• Settings > Focus > click on the affected Focus > Focus Status > Share Focus Status should be disabled.

• Settings > Privacy > Focus > Messages should be disabled.

What does "notifications silenced" mean in Messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.